Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with IE Business School.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Our Venture Capital program is for investors and entrepreneurs keen to hone their financial and interpersonal skills for venture capital initiatives. Over two days, industry professionals guide participants through the deal process, combining class-based theory with practical group activities. Participants will learn how to refine due diligence practices and confront common challenges of the venture capital market. Above all, the program provides a perfect opportunity for investors and entrepreneurs to meet and establish relationships that will drive value creation in the modern market.
Should participants wish to cover a wider range of investment asset classes, they will have access to the Private Equity program with a 30% concession.
- Offers an insight into the processes and challenges on both sides of the negotiating table.
- Gives investors and entrepreneurs the opportunity to establish working relationships.
- The role-play element of the program simulates real-life venture capital processes.
- Meet with other investors and entrepreneurs.
- Hone your negotiation skills from both a personal and financial perspective.
- Receive constructive feedback from world-leading professionals.
The Venture Capital program integrates class-based theory with case studies and group discussions to teach participants the relevant approaches to the venture capital process. Professors encourage the use of creative tools to solve negotiation bottlenecks and role-play sessions provide the perfect backdrop for participants to share ideas and feedback.
DAY 1: SCREENING AND VALUATION OF INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- What to look for in a startup project.
- Teaser screening.
- Valuation of potential investments.
- Overview of valuation methods.
- The VC method.
- Structuring and funding instruments.
- Structuring the deal.
- Funding instruments.
- Pricing of the investment.
DAY 2: NEGOTIATION OF A DEAL AND DUE DILIGENCE
- Early-stage investor-entrepreneur meetings.
- Term sheet and documentation: red flags and key clauses (financial, corporate governance, people, share vesting).
- Negotiation techniques.
- Due diligence, an ongoing task.
- Investor’s perspective.
DAY 3: PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
- Maximize returns through active portfolio management.
- Portfolio evaluation.
- Optimum risk/reward ratio.
- Value creation and exit strategies.
- Value drivers.
- Exit strategies (IPO, trade sale, secondary buy-out).
- Partial exits, next rounds.
Who should attend
Venture Capital or private equity firms, family offices, financial institutions, corporate VC groups, professional service firms, consulting firms, advisory firms, foundations and other institutions that promote entrepreneurship, entrepreneurs in high-potential businesses, start-up leaders, chief investment officers, investment principals, managers or directors, business angels, individual investors and business lawyers.
Trust the experts
Nico has managed Venture Capital investments in high-tech companies for the last 15 years. During this period he has been actively involved with more than 25 early stage ventures and served on the board of 16 companies, totaling more than 60 years of board membership in early stage technology ven...
Peter’s field of study essentially synthesizes a number of disciplines and fields, including social cognitive psychology, organizational theory, the theory of the firm and competitive strategy. More specifically, he looks at how the behavior of entrepreneurs influences the founding and growth of...
Eusebio MartínHe has over 25 years of finance experience as advisor, fund manager, fund investor, lender, investee company executive, in private equity firms, industrial companies, and the EBRD. He has led 26 transactions of equity and debt in Spain, UK, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. He was ...
Javier UleciaPartner of BullnetSpecialized ProgramsJavier Ulecia (1962), graduated from the Universidad Politécnica, Madrid, as an aeronautical engineer. He holds an MBA from the H.E.C. School of Management, Paris.Since October 2001, Javier is devoted to the management of Bullnet. He is a member ...
Javier BenitoCo-founder of Vitamina KJavier is co-founder of Vitamina K, a VC that specializes in seed and growth investments in technological and internet startups. Javier has also participated actively in the creation of new businesses, both as an entrepreneur and business angel in technologica...
Venture Capital: Investing in high growth companies- IE Business School