Who should attend
Whether you’re a private equity firm executive or a start-up leader, this course will help you to better understand both sides of venture capital initiatives. At IE Business School, we inspire an entrepreneurial ecosystem and the participants of the Venture Capital program are valuable contributors to this environment. Our integrated program gives participants the perfect platform to embark on their next venture capital initiative.
The Venture Capital program is aimed at:
- Venture capital and private equity firms.
- Corporate venture capital groups.
- Consulting, advisory and professional services firms.
- Family offices.
- Financial institutions.
- Foundations and institutions that promote entrepreneurship.
- Entrepreneurs in high-potential businesses, start-up leaders.
- CIOs and investment principals, managers and directors.
- Business angels, private and individual investors.
About the course
Our Venture Capital program is for investors and entrepreneurs keen to hone their financial and interpersonal skills for venture capital initiatives. Over two days, industry professionals guide participants through the deal process, combining class-based theory with practical group activities. Participants will learn how to refine due diligence practices and confront common challenges of the venture capital market. Above all, the program provides a perfect opportunity for investors and entrepreneurs to meet and establish relationships that will drive value creation in the modern market.
Should participants wish to cover a wider range of investment asset classes, they will have access to the Private Equity program with a 30% concession.
The Venture Capital program integrates class-based theory with case studies and group discussions to teach participants the relevant approaches to the venture capital process. Professors encourage the use of creative tools to solve negotiation bottlenecks and role-play sessions provide the perfect backdrop for participants to share ideas and feedback.
Day 1: Screening and valuation of investment opportunities
- What to look for in a startup project.
- Teaser screening.
- Valuation of potential investments.
- Overview of valuation methods.
- The VC method.
- Structuring and funding instruments.
- Structuring the deal.
- Funding instruments.
- Pricing of the investment.
Day 2: Negotiation of a deal and due diligence
- Early-stage investor-entrepreneur meetings.
- Term sheet and documentation: red flags and key clauses (financial, corporate governance, people, share vesting).
- Negotiation techniques.
- Due diligence, an ongoing task.
- Investor’s perspective.
Day 3: Portfolio management
- Maximize returns through active portfolio management.
- Portfolio evaluation.
- Optimum risk/reward ratio.
- Value creation and exit strategies.
- Value drivers.
- Exit strategies (IPO, trade sale, secondary buy-out).
- Partial exits, next rounds.
Nico has managed Venture Capital investments in high-tech companies for the last 15 years. During this period he has been actively involved with more than 25 early stage ventures and served on the board of 16 companies, totaling more than 60 years of board membership in early stage technology ven...
Peter’s field of study essentially synthesizes a number of disciplines and fields, including social cognitive psychology, organizational theory, the theory of the firm and competitive strategy. More specifically, he looks at how the behavior of entrepreneurs influences the founding and growth of...
Ignacio LarruSpecialized ProgramsIgnacio is Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship and Big Data at IE Business School. He is an Analytics Consultant and is currently the Vice President of Credit Agricole CIB. He is moreover the Founder of Ll Ventures, and previously worked at PricewaterhouseCooper...
Eusebio MartínHe has over 25 years of finance experience as advisor, fund manager, fund investor, lender, investee company executive, in private equity firms, industrial companies, and the EBRD. He has led 26 transactions of equity and debt in Spain, UK, Latin America, and Eastern Europe. He was ...
Javier BenitoCo-founder of Vitamina KJavier is co-founder of Vitamina K, a VC that specializes in seed and growth investments in technological and internet startups. Javier has also participated actively in the creation of new businesses, both as an entrepreneur and business angel in technologica...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.