UELC Professional Learning Plan Leadership Institute
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Teachers College Columbia University.Full disclaimer.
This institute will provide a structured, interactive professional learning experience for building and district leadership teams to create and/or revise organization-wide professional learning plans. Participants will participate in a simulated case study approach to professional learning that develops their leadership capacity to lead collaborative decision-making teams in pursuit of supporting adult learning and growth. Adult learning principles will be presented and tools designed to apply adult learning theory to practice will be modeled and used to 1) support giving effective feedback to adult learners and 2) inform the design of professional learning plans. Tools aligned to the NYC DOE and Learning Forward will be presented and applied in a highly interactive and experiential professional learning setting. School-based and district-based teams are encouraged to attend.
- Adult Learning Theory
- Design and Evaluation of Professional Learning Plans
- Effective Feedback for Adult Learning
- Collaborative Decision-Making
- Strengths-Based Leadership
- Strategic Thinking
- Leaders will engage in and be supported by an intentional community of learners that facilitates the development of effective leadership in urban schools.
- Leaders will apply StrengthsFinder research to their own work as leaders of teams.
- Leaders will learn about and apply adult learning principles to their practice of giving feedback to adult learners and designing professional learning plans.
- Leaders will craft organizational learning plans that include a plan for professional learning evaluation in alignment with NYC DOE and Learning Forward standards for professional learning.
- Leaders will be exposed to multiple decision-making styles and apply them to professional learning planning for urban schools.
- Leaders will work in simulated decision-making teams to consider issues of professional learning planning for urban schools.
- Leaders will collaboratively plan, present, and receive expert feedback on their organization professional learning plans.
- Leaders will leave the session with a renewed sense of purpose, more energized, and more motivated to address critical issues.
Tools & Assessments
Leadership Tools & Assessments
- StrengthsFinder 2.0
- NYC DOE Professional Learning Handbook
- Learning Forward Standards Professional Learning
- Decision-Making Processes (Vroom)
- Professional Learning Planner
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (ISLLC 2015)
6) Professional Capacity of School Personnel 7) Professional Community for Teachers and Staff 9) Operations and Management 10) School Improvement
Who should attend
School or district teams responsible for writing and revising organization-side professional learning plans. NYC DOE Professional Learning Committee teams strongly encouraged to attend.