UELC Intercultural Competencies in School Leadership Institute
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Teachers College Columbia University.Full disclaimer.
This institute will provide a structured, interactive professional learning experience for building and district leaders to examine and develop their intercultural leadership capacities in relationship to instructional leadership. Participants will participate in a simulated case study approach to professional learning that develops their leadership capacity to lead collaborative decision-making teams. Intercultural leadership tools will be shared and modeled in a highly interactive and experiential professional learning setting. School-based and district-based teams are encouraged to attend.
- Intercultural Competencies in Leadership
- Instructional Leadership
- Collaborative Decision-Making
- Strategic Thinking
- Leaders will engage in and be supported by an intentional community of learners that facilitates the development of effective leadership in urban schools.
- Leaders define concepts of culture and cross-cultural challenges in the context of their personal and professional experiences as school leaders.
- Leaders will develop their capacities to to accurately understand and adapt behavior to cultural difference and commonality on both personal and organizational levels.
- Leaders will learn intercultural leadership tools for reframing their instructional leadership work to develop adults in their schools to become active learners of their students’ individual and unique realities and cultures.
- Leaders will engage in collaborative decision-making teams.
- Leaders will be exposed to multiple decision-making styles, intercultural leadership tools and practices, and practices for leading adult learning and will apply these decision-making styles, practices, and tools to challenging issues of equity, social justice, and instructional leadership in urban schools.
- Leaders will work in simulated decision-making teams to consider issues of equity, social justice, and instructional leadership for students in urban schools.
- Leaders will collaboratively plan, present, and receive expert feedback on key issues relevant to instructional leadership, intercultural competencies, and leading adult learning.
- Leaders will draft an intercultural capacities in leadership professional learning plan.
- Leaders will leave the institute with a renewed sense of purpose, more energized, and more motivated to address critical issues.
Tools & Assessments
Leadership Tools & Assessments
- Intercultural Development Index (IDI)
- Intercultural Conflict Style Inventory (ICS)
- Decision-Making Processes (Vroom)
- Intercultural Competencies in Leadership Professional Learning Plan
Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (ISLLC 2015)
3) Equity and Cultural Responsiveness 4) Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment 6) Professional Capacity of School Personnel 7) Professional Community for Teachers and Staff
Who should attend
Education leaders at all organizational levels working in urban schools.