Who should attend
This introductory program is for managers and directors who are new to the transportation field, new to managing transportation-related staff, or anyone looking to brush up on current transportation issues and strategies.
- Purchasing and Inventory Manager
- Contracting Officer
- S&OP Manager
- Strategic Sourcing Director
About the course
Acquire foundational understanding, learn common terminology, and discover methods to effectively manage and optimize transportation operations. Learn how to analyze freight needs and competitively source carriers and third-party providers to improve service levels and reduce transportation costs.
Improve your ability to effectively:
- Discuss the importance of transportation in the supply chain—the second largest expense in a supply chain after cost of goods sold
- Explain the dynamic environment of the transportation industry including economic and regulatory issues
- Decide what modal options make the most sense for your company and its products
- Explain how carriers price their service
- Negotiate and arrange for your freight needs to lower costs and increase service
Note to Government Professionals: This program fulfills much of the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQ) required for Senior Executive Service.
Trends in Transportation
- Domestic transportation
- Economic trends and issues
- Legislative/regulatory trends and issues
- Global transportation
Transportation Modes and Background
- Parcel and air
- Truckload (TL)
- Less-than-truckload (LTL)
Methods to Manage Transportation Operations
Technologies to Help Optimize Transportation
- Demystifying transportation pricing
- Components of transportation cost
- How carriers approach the bidding process
The RFI and RFP Processes
- Identification of potential providers
- What is a Request for Information (RFI) and what is included?
- What is a Request for Proposal (RFP) and what is included?
- How to evaluate responses
- Comparing “apples to apples” in responses and rates
Value For You and Your Organization
Transportation is one of the costliest and most volatile pieces of your supply chain. This course covers practical methods for best-practice management of your operations to: a) lower overall transportation costs or, b) maintain current rate levels in an increasing freight-cost environment.
Senior Partner, Chain Connectors, Inc. Dr. Christopher D. Norek is Senior Partner and founding member of Chain Connectors, Inc., a supply chain consulting and software implementation firm. He has over 20 years of supply chain experience with a unique combination of consulting, industry and acade...
Executive Director National Shippers Strategic Transportation Council (NASSTRAC) Gail Rutkowski is a veteran of more than 30 years in the transportation industry. She has experienced both sides of the industry, from shipper to carrier, from small shipments to truckloads, from domestic to intern...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.