Transition to General Management
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with INSEAD Business School.Full disclaimer.
Comprehensive Leadership Development in a Disruptive Age
The Transition to General Management programme is our four-week, flagship general-management-level programme – exclusively designed to equip you with all the skills and knowledge needed for your transition to general management.
Using INSEAD’s unique Blue Line Management concept that focuses on managing for value, this programme provides you with the confidence required to manage the complexity you will be facing as you develop from a specialist into a generalist.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- Managing for value. Develop a keen understanding of how to manage the creation of value, using the INSEAD-developed Blue Line Management concept.
- Enhanced leadership skills. Achieve increased confidence and managerial impact through our integrated Leadership Development Process, which includes powerful 360° feedback and coaching from our highly regarded INSEAD Global Leadership Centre (IGLC).
- Grounding in the key business disciplines. Essential to effective general-management decision-making, you will gain an integrated view of business by discovering key linkages across disciplines.
- An international learning experience. Benefit from diversity in the classroom and, if you choose, more than one location of study.
Participants on Transition to General Management take a holistic view of their own skills and experience whilst exploring current management thinking and gaining new perspectives on the ultimate business objective of managing for value.
During group work, case studies and coaching, the programme equips senior managers to make the move to general management and covers:
Learn rigorous concepts and systematic tools to understand and know your customers anywhere in the world. We cover market orientation, market creation, targeting, building customer value, competitive advantage, customer relationship management and much more. Topics include:
- Organisational behaviour and leadership
- Finance and management accounting
- Operations management
- The global economy.
A specific Leadership Development Process runs throughout the programme, helping you to better understand yourself and develop a personalised plan of action. It involves:
- Personal development plans
- Outdoor teamwork
- Coaching: the Global Executive Leadership Inventory
- Fair Process
- Cross-cultural leadership
- Negotiation and decision-making
- Managing re-entry.
Managing for value
At its core, general management is about creating value. With value creation and management in mind, new general managers need to focus on the long-term, organisation-wide impact of any act or decision – as opposed to measuring success with narrowly defined, short-term performance indicators. It is this value creation and management that the Transition to General Management programme is centred on. This involves:
- Value proposition
- Value delivery
- Value capture
Who should attend
Breadth and depth are what characterise Transition to General Management participants. As the name implies, they are so diverse in terms of nationality, international experience, culture and background that it is hard to generalise about them. But one thing is sure: they are all proven senior managers in their own area of business. And now they are on the threshold of the next step up: a highly successful general management career. In short, Transition to General Management is designed for senior functional or technical managers about to make the transition to general management and for recently appointed general managers.