Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Senior executives who want to understand how they can make their organisations AI-ready
- Leaders and senior executives seeking the comprehensive perspective they need to lead in a digital world, with a focus on strategic understanding, organisational wisdom and innovation-based capabilities
- Senior managers seeking to build their own capabilities in strategy, leadership and innovation, while developing personalised, actionable plans
About the course
Unlocking the power of artificial intelligence in the digital age
Artificial intelligence (AI) is empowering significant and rapid change for businesses across almost all sectors and industries. In particular, machine learning – a computer’s capacity to improve its performance without human instruction – is driving the development of new applications that can accelerate productivity and competitive edge for companies.
From the automation of different aspects of business to forecasting patterns in data, AI can accomplish tasks with far greater accuracy and speed than human beings – transforming not only what businesses and managers can do, but how they do it. Healthcare, finance, retail and travel organisations are delivering completely new customer experience thanks to chatbots, intelligent voice assistants and conversational AI. Meanwhile, an array of new machine learning applications are giving businesses access to deep analysis of key internal data (such as employee engagement, networks and departures) for organisation redesign.
Transforming Your Business with AI gives you a deep understanding of how AI is deployed in business, so that you can see what it can (and cannot) do for you and your organisation. The programme equips you with practical frameworks and templates to work with data scientists and programmers, showing you how to commission analysis and analyse the results you receive.
The programme is delivered over five consecutive weeks by leading INSEAD faculty – professors and industry experts who are at the cutting edge in leverage AI in sectors like finance, marketing and organisational design. As such, you will understand how to make the most of these emerging technologies.
How you benefit
- Gain solid, jargon-free understanding of AI and machine learning and the opportunities for your organisation.
- Explore how different applications work across functional areas.
- Master the skills and vocabulary to work effectively with data scientists.
- Understand the risks and limits of relying blindly on algorithms.
- Learn how to build AI capabilities for your organisation.
The programme content is delivered online over five consecutive weeks. It uses real-world video case studies, cutting-edge technologies, computer modelling to show how companies can leverage leadership, strategy and innovation to respond to digital transformation. Every week we will explore a specific topic. Your learning will be enriched by hands-on group or individual work and exercises, and an Action Learning Project based around applicability within your own organisation.
What AI is doing today (and why you should care)
- Understand what AI is and the AI applications across various sectors.
- Bridge technical details to business applications.
- Learn the elements of a prediction machine, evaluate the accuracy of it and distinguish correlation from causation.
Building AI capabilities in an organisation
- Manage the implementation of AI and Machine Learning based projects.
- Understand the differences between these projects and other business or IT projects.
- Hear from a leading industry expert to discuss how to identify and execute successful AI - enabled business opportunities.
Implementing AI with external experts
- Examine the ground rules for formulating a business question as ‘‘AI solvable’’.
- Discuss how outsourcing AI development has gone through major innovations via ‘‘gamification’’.
- Learn different ways to build ‘’teams of models’’ for machines to work well together.
Deep learning and causal thinking
- Compare two approaches of machine learning - correlation and causation, discuss important tools for each and develop frameworks for when to use each.
- Explore limitations of all AI techniques today - the risk of ‘’hidden variables’’, and understand why we need prototyping.
The Future of Organisations and Algorithms
- Touch on a number of broader themes that go beyond the technical details and specific applications.
- Develop a point of view on the challenges and risks, both logistical and ethical, that the advancement of AI poses.
- Understand the issues around privacy and ethicality (fairness) and the implications for organisation designs.
Action Learning Project
The Action Learning Project (ALP) will help bring you to the cutting edge of AI applications for business. It will help you think about possible opportunities for the application of AI within your organisation, based on business attractiveness. Then you will apply frameworks from the programme to prioritise these opportunities in terms of technical feasibility.
You will be able to test these ideas in a risk-free environment, then devise a realistic plan of implementation.This will include consideration of in-house and outsourcing options, as well as the creation of an AI governance framework for your organisation.
The ALP is designed to help you develop a plan that can be immediately executed once you return to work. Working with the learning coach, you will design your AI project that is right for your organisation and your personal learning objectives. For those attending the programme with a group of colleagues from the same company or organisation, the learning coach can help you structure a more ambitious team ALP to collaborate and work on together.
There are three phases to the ALP process:
- First, you will agree on the scope of your ALP with the learning coach, to make sure it aligns with the learning objectives of the programme and culminates in a concrete goal.
- Second, in each of the five content weeks, you will apply the tools and concepts from that week to your ALP.
- Third, following the completion of the course work you will synthesize your weekly submissions to propose a concrete strategic recommendation based on solid financial analysis. Your final submission will be subject to peer review. All participants will review two to four other submissions and provide peer feedback.
Theos Evgeniou is a Professor of Decision Sciences and Technology Management at INSEAD, and an Academic Director of INSEAD eLab, a research and analytics center at INSEAD that focuses on data analytics for business. Professor Evgeniou has received four degrees from MIT, two BSc degrees simultane...
Phanish Puranam is a Professor of Strategy, the Roland Berger Chaired Professor of Strategy and Organisation Design at INSEAD. He is the Academic Director of the PhD Programme. Professor Puranam studies the design and management of collaboration structures within corporations (i.e. between divis...
Videos and materials
Read more about Digital Transformation
Read more about Information Technology
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.