TIO – International Executive Program
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Stockholm School of Economics.Full disclaimer.
The TIO – International Executive Program is intended for international general managers/executives leading a management team, with responsibility for an international market and/or a product segment. The focus of the program is on driving international growth.
The program is open for participants from Atlas Copco, Sandvik, Scania and Stora Enso. International participants from similar companies are also welcome. In recent programs we have had participants from all major parts of the world representing 13–15 nations. Normally no more than 30% of the participants in each TIO group share the same national background.
The program is based in part upon case studies rooted in live situations at the participating companies. During the program consulting teams are put together in which participants are invited to consult each other on specific business issues of interest.
The faculty is international and includes the CEOs/senior executives from the participating companies as guest speakers. One of the unique features of the TIO program is that it provides you with an opportunity to discuss the most current strategic and operational issues of international business with these prominent business leaders.
The TIO program represents a unique opportunity for senior managers. You will:
- enhance your ability to do business through networks in a complex global organization
- be better prepared to create and implement next steps in a continuous process of change
- broaden your understanding of business and leadership by interacting with participants from other companies.
International Directors Programme
The International Directors Programme is our flagship course in corporate governance and is a unique educational experience that aims to develop effective directors for the global business scene. Today’s supervisory boards have to contend with a host of new pressures, challenges and risks in addition to evaluating the performance of the CEO and senior executives. They must therefore set the company’s strategic direction, often across diverse product markets and geographies, and monitor the firm’s risk profile.
Set within an international context that is unique in director education, this programme offers practical and tested frameworks and tools to sharpen judgment and decision-making skills. It also augments the oversight abilities of directors seeking to boost their existing competencies or to be better prepared for new board mandates. In three focused modules, you will master strategies for the following fundamental areas: board effectiveness and dynamics; board decision-making and oversight; and director effectiveness and development.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- Board operations: Understand the broader context in which boards operate and the responsibilities that come with a board mandate.
- Knowledge and competencies: Gain an overview of the knowledge and competencies expected from directors in today’s environment.
- Director-specific skills: Develop the specialised skills that contribue to the creation of an effectively performing board culture.
- Ability to challenge executives: Enhance your ability to challenge executives through positive exchanges focused on the key issues that underpin corporate performance.
The International Directors Programme consists of three modules: board effectiveness and dynamics; board decision-making and oversight; and director effectiveness and development. Together, these represent the knowledge base that trained directors are expected to master – and form the basis of effective board membership.
Within each module, the programme will focus on three fundamental questions:
- What do directors need to know in order to set the direction of the company?
- What are the proper boundaries within which the company should operate?
- How best can directors exercise their responsibilities to get things done in the boardroom?
BOARD FUNDAMENTALS: RESPONSIBILITY, EFFECTIVENESS, DECISION MAKING, AND STRATEGY
- Fundamentals of director and board effectiveness
- Fiduciary duty and shareholder supremacy
- The main governance challenges
- Effective decision making in the board room
- The Strategy imperative
- Value Creation at board level
BOARD DYNAMICS, EFFICIENCY AND THE ROLE OF COMMITTEES
- CEO-Board dynamics and conflicts
- The Director as political actor & the question of power
- Fair Process Leadership – a model for the board
- CEO selection, oversight, evaluation, and succession
- CEO Remuneration
- Financial statements and red flags in reporting
DEVELOPING DIRECTORS AND THEIR BOARDS
- Boards and Organisations in Crisis
- Fraud as a consequence of poor governance
- The challenge and opportunity of board diversity
- Putting it all together through a board simulation
- 360 evaluation of director strengths and development opportunities
- Group coaching techniques for director improvement
- Reflecting on roles and commitments
Who should attend
The International Directors Programme is designed for chairs and non-executive directors of listed and private corporations, government agencies and organisations, and non-profits. It is also aimed at CEOs, COOs, CFOs and other C-suite executives, as well as family members and controlling shareholders of boards of large family companies. Senior professionals from the institutional investment community and senior partners of professional firms who serve boards can also benefit from the programme.
Participants must demonstrate that they possess the credibility and competences required to assume board-level responsibilities, and have sufficient exposure to board matters to fully benefit from and contribute to a programme that involves role-play, simulations and exchanges with other participants.