Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- All senior-level executives charged with driving value for their organisation
- Directors responsible for creating or implementing strategy within the organisation
- Board members and senior executives who wish to drive their business on commercial reality and facts and who are looking for effective tools and techniques to help them compete.
About the course
Devise and implement robust strategies that can create lasting competitive advantage in your organisation with The Strategy Programme.
- See strategy as a leadership tool: use it to provide clear leadership and direction to employees and stakeholders
- Critique and develop your own organisation's strategy
- Understand how strategies impact an organisation’s performance
- Overcome internal challenges to strategy and drive your business forward
- Create strategies that 'stick' within your organisation
Designed for senior executives, The Strategy Programme helps you kick-start the strategic review process in your organisation. It focuses on specific issues in your organisation and gives you the tools to create and implement strategies that address them.
At Henley, strategy is seen as an essential leadership tool rather than just a thinking process. While theory is a major part of the agenda, this is not at the expense of practical learning - which is delivered through workshops, strategy critique activities and group discussion. A follow-up day gives you the opportunity to check progress and maintain momentum while implementing your strategy.
You will be encouraged to think about strategy in the long-term, while making sure you remain agile in a competitive business environment.
Define and demystify strategy in a business setting
Understand the role of strategy in leadership and employee engagement
Learn to critique and challenge existing business strategies at the highest level
Gain new strategy tools and concepts to use in your organisation
Build your peer network
Review your organisation's strategy against best practice and identify opportunities to add value
From the pre-work onwards, the programme focuses on your organisation's issues
Develop leaders who can successfully create and implement strategies
Become an outward-looking organisation focused on creating and maintaining lasting competitive advantage
Become more profitable and more sustainable in the long term
The Strategy Programme is workshop-style and how-to focused. Over three days at Henley, you will gain the tools and capabilities to develop and implement your organisational strategy. A follow-up day then enables you to check progress and maintain momentum.
This programme is underpinned by rigorous research, with delivery always from a practitioner’s point of view.
The programme runs for a total of four days:
The Strategy Programme: Pre-Programme (3-4 weeks)
Before the programme starts you will:
Prepare a strategy critique document and 5-minute presentation Meet with at least one key customer to understand their strategy Read relevant articles for discussion
The Strategy Programme: Module 1 (3 days residential)
Module 1 enables you to develop your understanding of how strategies create value and how to use strategy as a leadership tool. You will have the chance to review your organisation's strategy against best practice and develop it further.
Back in your organisation, you will apply what you have learned by taking action and assessing its effectiveness. Ahead of the follow-up day you will prepare a new strategy critique and 5-minute presentation.
The Strategy Programme: Module 2 (1 day)
Module 2 will give you the opportunity to present, assess and refine your updated business strategy critiques.
In this module, you will analyse:
- What worked and what didn't
- Successes and challenges
- The necessary adjustments that need to be made
- Your peers' experiences
The Strategy Programme: Post-Programme Activities
- Joining our alumni network
- Accessing resources from the virtual learning portal for up to 12 months
- Participating in virtual action learning by phone (2 hours)
Jeff is an Associate Faculty Member of Henley Business School, contributing to the Henley Partnership, the Advanced Management Programme and as Programme Director for The Strategy Programme – Challenging Strategies with Insight. Jeff initially worked in oil exploration as both an engineer and a m...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.