Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Professional Service Firm (PSF) leaders, directors and principals
- Managing partners, members of partnership boards and other firm-wide management committees, practice area heads, industry sector heads, and those in line to take up such positions and responsibilities
- Management consultants, accountants, lawyers, actuaries, engineers, architects, surveyors, physicians, public relations professionals, recruiters and others involved in professional practice
About the course
The competitive pressures on partners, directors and principals of professional service firms have never been greater.
And as these pressures intensify further in the current economic climate, the temptation of many will be to focus on client-facing work rather than on the more challenging aspects of leadership and management.
How can you strategically differentiate and grow your practice? How can you nurture and develop your associates? How can you find the time to lead and manage your business and people effectively?
This programme will challenge you to explore the answers to these questions.
The Professional Service Firm Leader programme brings together leading business academics from the University of Cambridge with top consulting professionals with a wealth of experience in providing strategic, leadership and personal advice.
The result is a unique learning event which blends academic and practically based sessions to give you an in-depth understanding of the concepts of professional service firm management, coupled with the skills you need to apply those concepts in your daily working life.
It is our focus on implementation – in turning the concepts and research-based findings into specific actions that improve individual, practice and firm performance – that sets this programme apart. We recognise that firms from different sectors tend to face different issues in different ways at different times.
Programme content will cover key topics critical to the success of any professional service firm:
- Integrated leadership and the motivational dynamics of professionals
- Professional service firm strategies: practice segmentation; aligning the firm's practices, people and resources
- Leadership styles: becoming an effective role model, coach and mentor
- Client service: making your client teams even more effective
- Leadership and values: the power of personal example;
- Leading and sustaining change in the firm: what really effective firms do to stay at the top
You'll learn from outstanding faculty and associates of Cambridge Judge Business School and experienced practitioners where you will build a network with other professional service firm leaders from firms across Europe and elsewhere in the world.
- Understand the practical significance of the elements in the integrated leadership model - setting direction, commitment and execution
- Understand the strategic execution process
- Understand more about your own role as a leader
- Develop an understanding of effective leadership and management of teams
- Practical case studies to identify principles and reinforce the learning
- Gain practical concepts and frameworks
- Translate frameworks into day-day business responsibilities
Philip developed the Global Human Resource Research Alliance, a research group involving 30 companies worldwide - American Express, BAE Systems, BT, EDF, GE, General Mills, IBM, IKEA, Infosys, Matsushita, Oracle, Procter and Gamble, Rolls-Royce, SANYO, Sealed Air, Shell, Siemens, TCL, TNT, and Un...
University Senior Lecturer in Operations Management Director of the Centre for Process Excellence & Innovation (CPEI) Director of Studies in Management at Gonville & Caius College BComm (Monash University), PhD (University of Melbourne), MCIPS Research interests Supply chain strategy; ...
University Lecturer in Information Systems Diploma (National Technical University of Athens), MSc (Utrecht University), PhD (VU University Amsterdam) Research interests How analytics and big data are challenging established ways of knowing and acting in organisations; how knowledge is transfer...
University Lecturer in Strategy & Organisation Ecole Normale Supérieure, LLM (Rennes I), MSc (Paris X Université), MA (EHESS), PhD (HEC Paris) Research interests Strategy and economic sociology; organisation theory; categorisation; valuation; status; legal studies. Subject group: Strategy...
Professor of Organisational Ethnography Fellow of Darwin College DPhil (University of Oxford) Research interests Studying people by living with them under similar conditions so as to better understand how they experience, and develop meaningful relations to, the world as it happens. Mark''s f...
Mark Smith is a Senior Advisor for the professional service firm programmes where he designs and delivers content to develop competitive advantage for clients. Mark has two decades of experience in the legal profession spanning a number of different roles and providing a unique perspective on th...
As Chair of Cambridge University's Women's Boat Club, Cath enthuses students to wave their training oars defiantly in the face of a challenge. Fluent in five languages, few people are as well-equipped to inspire others all over the world and influence them to pursue higher goals. Cath has a BA i...
Professor of Strategy & Innovation Professorial Fellow of St Edmund''s College MPhil, PhD (University of Cambridge) Research interests Institutional processes and diffusion of practices; social and environmental issues, technological and management innovations; value creation and new marke...
MSc (Audencia), MPhil (SciencesPo Paris), PhD (HEC Paris) Research interests Economic sociology; organisation theory; social evaluations; stigma, disapproval and scandals; institutional theory; stakeholder relationships; ethics. Professional experience Prior to starting an academic career, Thomas...
Matthew is a Fellow in Professional Services Leadership and Strategy at Cambridge Judge Business School, as well as a consultant, non-executive chair and leadership mentor, with over 30 years’ business experience, including in global leadership. He is former CEO of the UK, Middle East and Africa ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.