The Professional Service Firm Leader
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Cambridge Judge Business School Executive Education.Full disclaimer.
The competitive pressures on partners, directors and principals of Professional Service Firm (PSF) have never been greater. And as these pressures intensify further in the current economic climate, the temptation of many will be to focus on client facing work rather than on the more challenging aspects of leading and managing their practices - for example, how to strategically differentiate and grow their practices, and how to nurture and develop their associates.
Management consultants, accountants, lawyers, actuaries, engineers, architects, surveyors, physicians, public relations professionals, recruiters and others involved in professional practice of whatever kind face the same pressures. While continuing to practice their profession, they need, as partners, directors or principals of their firms, to find the time to lead and manage their business and people. And as these pressures intensify further in the current economic climate, the temptation of many will be to focus on client facing work rather than on the more challenging aspects of leadership and management.
The Professional Service Firm Leader Programme brings together leading business academics from the University of Cambridge with top consulting professionals with a wealth of experience in providing strategic, leadership and personal advice and development skills throughout Europe. The result is a unique learning event which blends academic and practically based sessions to provide participants not only with an in-depth understanding of the concepts of professional service firm management and their role, but also with the skills to apply those concepts in their daily working lives.
It is our focus on implementation - in turning the concepts and ideas into specific actions that improve individual, practice and firm performance - that sets this programme apart. We recognise that firms from different PSF sectors tend to face different issues in different ways at different times. To respond to this reality and develop a programme that is truly focused on participants' needs, we will:
- contact each of the participants before the programme and ascertain which subjects they would like to explore in more detail
- use this feedback to create a series of 'application' sessions in which participants can work in small groups with their fellow participants and faculty experts on the issues they believe will really make a difference to them and their firm
- adjust the scheduled content during the programme if the participants believe that an in-depth discussion on any topic would better serve their needs
To support the participants when they return to their normal roles after the programme, we also have a cadre of outstanding coaches, who, at a participant's request, will work with them in turning the ideas into action.
While the final programme content will reflect the participants' needs, it will also cover the five main topics critical to the success of any professional service firm - strategy and differentiation, leadership, people management, client service and business development.
- Integrated leadership and the motivational dynamics of professionals
- Professional service firm strategies: practice segmentation; aligning the firm's practices, people and resources
- Leadership styles: becoming an effective role model, coach and mentor
- Client service: making your client teams even more effective
- Business development: the prerequisites for successful cross-selling
- Leadership and values: the power of personal example; leadership and change
- Leading and sustaining change in the firm: what really effective firms do to stay at the top
You'll learn from outstanding faculty and associates of Cambridge Judge Business School and experienced practitioners where you will build a network with other professional service firm leaders from firms across Europe and elsewhere in the world.
- Understand the practical significance of the elements in the integrated leadership model - setting direction, commitment and execution
- Understand the strategic execution process
- Understand more about your own role as a leader
- Develop an understanding of effective leadership and management of teams
- Practical case studies to identify principles and reinforce the learning
- Gain practical concepts and frameworks
- Translate frameworks into day-day business responsibilities
Who should attend
Professional Service Firm (PSF) leaders, directors and principals, positions such as managing partners, members of partnership boards and other firm-wide management committees, practice area heads, industry sector heads, and those in line to take up such positions and responsibilities.