About the course
This course provides you with an understanding of what constitutesventure capital, who is involved and how they are involved. With anin-depth insight into the process, activities and skill set required as a participant from the development of an investment initiative through to exit.
Venture capital is a relatively new and vibrant area of finance that is constantly changing and being driven by the demands of those involved, together with the influence of the likes of financial markets and regulatory authorities. As a consequence, the course aims to provide you with both traditional and contemporary perspectives and insights into a very important growth area of finance.
- Unit 1 – Fundamentals of venture capital
- Unit 2 – Venture capital investment process and due diligence
- Unit 3 – General principles and the valuation of venture capital companies
- Unit 4 – Practical considerations in the valuation of venture capital companies
- Unit 5 – Deriving value from venture capital investments
- Unit 6 – Structuring and restructuring venture capital investments
- Unit 7 – Approval process, execution and documentation
- Unit 8 – Managing and realising venture capital investments
What you'll learn
- The principles of venture capital, how they have developed among a diverse range of participants, with both for-profit and not-for profit primary objectives
- The importance of the finance lifecycle in influencing the nature and substance of venture capital activity
- The different types of synergies and/or control benefits arising from a proposed venture capital investment and how to evaluate/value them
- The principles of how to manage a venture capital investment to create value for a potentially successful exit
- The structuring (and restructuring) of venture capital investments, and the range of financial instruments that can be used to fund them
- The importance of thorough risk analysis, comprehensive due diligence, and implementation skills in achieving a potentially successful exit
How you'll learn
- A new module is released every two weeks
- Read the units online, save them to your computer or print them out
- Study at your own pace
- Efficient and cost effective - no need to travel or take time off work
- Apply new skills and expertise to your work straight away
Roger Mills is an Emeritus Professor at the University of Reading. For more than 20 years, he was Professor of Finance and Accounting at Henley Management College, now Henley Business School and, subsequently, a Professor Dr in the VU University, Amsterdam. Roger has a unique blend of academic ...
Videos and materials
Read more about Venture capital
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.