About the course
On completion of this distance learning course you will have a comprehensive understanding of all the key aspects of international trade finance. You will be better equipped to support clients in both a financial and advisory capacity and will have learned skills to improve financial risk management - resulting in lower probability of default, and loss given default
Each module is delivered by a combination of specifically tailored course readings, screencast presentations, tests of comprehension and case studies and is supported by an online forum that provides an opportunity to network with other participants and the course director.
Trade finance is one of the oldest and most reliable forms of lending and it is an important facilitator of international trade by reducing risk and often providing essential finance to either the exporter or importer. There is a great need for formal training in this area yet a huge shortage of courses available and seasoned practitioners around to teach them.
- Unit 1 - Introduction to International Trade Finance
- Unit 2 - Collections, aval and forfaiting
- Unit 3 - Documentary credits
- Unit 4 - Specialist types of credit
- Unit 5 - Demand guarantees and standby credits
- Unit 6 - Structured trade finance
- Unit 7 - Open account payments and their financing
- Unit 8 - Commodity finance
What you’ll learn
- The foundations of trade finance
- The products and why and when they should be used
- The needs of the importer and exporter
- The risks that all parties are exposed to
- The trade documentation
- The difference between and trade services, trade finance and structured trade finance
- How structured trade finance and commodity finance enable banks to offer greater levels of financial support
- How to handle trade transactions
- How to support and offer the best solutions to your clients
Postgraduate certificate option
You have the option to receive a postgraduate certificate validated by Middlesex University Business School.
You will need to submit an additional marked assignment of 5000 words, based on a continuing case study that runs throughout the duration of the course.
How you’ll learn
- A new module is released every two weeks
- Read the units online, save them to your computer or print them out
- Study at your own pace
- Efficient and cost effective - no need to travel or take time off work
- Apply new skills and expertise to your work straight away
Stephen Jones is a highly experienced trade finance practitioner with over 40 years of trade finance expertise (35 of which was gained in the corporate banking environment). He has held senior trade positions in Lloyds Bank, NatWest and RBS.Stephen was the first in NatWest Corporate to win, struc...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.