Who should attend
Junior managers, first-time supervisors, and those who are preparing for their first management responsibility.
About the course
From individual contributor to manager
The transition to management is a major career milestone. A milestone that recognizes your achievements and contributions to the organization and suggests others see in you the potential to lead. However, success in management is based on more than the technical or functional skills that have presented you with this opportunity. The Management Incubator is designed to build a strong foundation of core management skills to ensure your continued success. In this interactive, two-day program, Professor Brent Smith will utilize case-studies, group exercises, and extensive discussion to guide you through the state-of-the-science in management.
What to Expect
- Overcome common pitfalls in transitioning to management
- Becoming a manager: What are the new rules?
- Getting each employee to bring their best to work
- Managing individual performance by setting clear, appropriate expectations
- What makes for a compelling direction for your team?
- Managing the boundary between your organization and your team
Professor Brent Smith, Ph.D. is currently Senior Associate Dean of the Jones Graduate School of Business at Rice University. Prior to his current academic appointments, he was a member of the faculty at London Business School and Cornell University where he taught in the School of Industrial and ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.