Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Our Leadership and Management program is designed for professionals who are ready to elevate their impact within their role and organization as a transformational leader. This program is ideal for new leaders, or those who went from a strong individual contributor to a leader of a group without much formal leadership training. Managers in pursuit of greater leadership responsibilities and career advancement also benefit. Participant titles and/or job functions may include, but are not limited to:
- First-time Manager
- New Middle Manager
- Front line Manager
- Branch Manager
- Team Leader
- Project Manager
- Management Analyst
- New Senior Manager or Director
- Functional Managers, i.e. Operations, Marketing, Sales, R&D, Finance, IT, HR
About the course
In the St. Thomas Leadership and Management Program, you’ll focus on the essentials of successful leadership so that you can deliver results back to your team and organization right away.
Leaders are called to think critically, make tough calls, motivate others and drive business results. Leaders also need to know themselves—both their strengths and their blindspots.
The Leadership and Management Program is ideal for those who are new in a leadership role or technical experts in their first role with direct reports. You’ll start with a self-assessment to get a baseline of your leadership abilities. In the sessions that follow, you’ll expand your leadership toolkit:
- Improving your strategic decision-making ability to bring positive change to your organization
- Broadening perspective beyond your department, function, or business
- Building and maintaining high-trust relationships with stakeholders at all levels
- Leveraging available resources to better manage the complexity of your day-to-day job
- Increasing self-awareness
- Getting work done through others
- Increasing your personal credibility with others
- Gaining confidence to take on your expanding management and leadership role, including becoming more comfortable making difficult choices
Case studies, simulations, group discussions and real-world exercises give you opportunities to practice your new leadership skills, so you’re well prepared to use them at work. Small class sizes create a collaborative learning environment and help you build your network of fellow leaders. Sessions are held on the downtown Minneapolis campus, and parking is available within one block. There are no prerequisites for this program.
Benefits of This Program
After completing the Leadership and Management program, you’ll be better equipped to:
Build trusting relationships. Gain respect from all areas of your company. Increase your personal awareness. Understand how you lead and how others perceive your actions.
Lead with confidence. Managing will always have its challenges, but our program strengthens your ability to make difficult decisions.
Delegate. It’s essential to be able to delegate tasks, so you can focus your key leadership responsibilities.
In this program, you’ll also gain a new network of professional peers—your fellow classmates. You can turn to this network for support long after the program ends.
The Leadership and Management Program focuses on two key areas: emotional and social intelligence, and strategic decision-making. During 6 full day sessions over the course of two weeks you’ll learn about:
- Transitioning from an expert to a manager to a leader
- Strategic thinking, planning and decision-making
- Systems thinking
- Change management and leadership
- Leveraging your emotional strengths
- Managing your emotions that cause performance risks
- Empathy – the key to understanding other stakeholders
- Increasing your impact when influencing, inspiring, and empowering.
- Developing your personal career strategy
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.