Who should attend
This program is designed for senior-level executives with more than twelve years of experience in significant management roles. Of the more than 4,000 executives who have graduated from this program, many represent Fortune 100 companies. Their diverse industries include aerospace, consumer services, banking/finance, consulting, defense contractors, insurance, mining, nonprofit, oil, telecom, bio/pharma, chemical, construction and the U.S. military.
Executives in The Executive Program are selected for their outstanding leadership capabilities. As you share perspectives in the classroom, you will gain insights that will provide more breadth and depth to your own point of view. As a graduate of TEP, you will join Darden's worldwide network of nearly 4,000 alumni of the program and 10,000 alumni of Darden's MBA program in 87 countries, whose sense of commitment, camaraderie and connection is globally recognized.
About the course
Today's executives face challenges and opportunities that extend beyond the enterprise—across industries and around the world. Confronting the challenges and embracing these opportunities require more than training and expertise. It requires a strategic perspective, informed judgment and a global vision for what’s possible. Reserved for senior executives with advanced management experience, The Executive Program: Strategic Leadership at the Top (TEP) provides a forum for top executives from around the world to come together and explore universal challenges and solutions, helping them lead their organization in today’s complex, global marketplace.
To meet the ever-changing needs of today's executives, TEP's format has been expanded to include both virtual and residential modules, extending the learning journey to provide ongoing support and guidance as you share and implement new insights within your organization. And your residential module will include sessions, workshops and guest speakers at both of Darden's locations - Charlottesville and Rosslyn.
Throughout this intense program, your TEP journey will be a shared one, connecting with engaged faculty as well as senior executives from diverse industries around the world. Our proven experiential approach focuses on the whole leader, to discover what inspires and drives you from the inside out and beyond.
- Engage with faculty and members of your learning team throughout the program to discuss and explore personalized new possibilities for yourself and your organization
- Analyze real-life business situations and become a better leader by asking the right questions, thinking strategically and offering solutions-sharpened by the perspective of colleagues and their executive leadership experience.
- Apply new concepts to your current position and identify a personal or organizational challenge for which you'll develop a customized plan of action to launch upon your return.
- Engage in enrichment activities and workshops chosen by you and your peers. You'll expand on classroom concepts with topics like design thinking, financial management, entrepreneurship, or government and politics.
- Improve your peak performance through a stamina-building wellness program that includes a course on cognitive fitness, structured exercise opportunities and a personalized wellness profile with risk ratings and recommendations for health improvement, so you can ensure that your physical, mental and psychological strengths serve you well during the program and the rest of your life.
TEP's extended learning journey includes both virtual and residential modules:
- Opening Online Module - Meet the TEP faculty, share your personal and organizational challenges and goals, and prepare for your TEP experience
- Residency Module - Hosted at both of Darden's locations in Charlottesville and Rosslyn
- Virtual Leadership Lab - Webinars and coaching sessions to help you implement new strategies and plans once you return to the office
KEY THEMES & TOPICS
By putting you in a position to engage key issues across functional and enterprise boundaries, you will develop the acumen to inspire change and drive innovation within yourself, your organization and beyond.
Developing Executive Capabilities:
- Leading Other Leaders
- Thinking & Acting Strategically
- Taking an Enterprise Perspective
- Becoming Globally Aware
- Managing Through Crisis
- Envisioning Future Scenarios & Possibilities
- Leading "Values" Change Towards New Priorities & Standards
- Leading Cultural Change
- Managing/ Aligning Diverse Stakeholders
- Making Tough Decisions
- Digital Transformation & Disruptive Technologies
- Global Disruptions
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Environmental, social & governance
- Cyber Security
- Data Analytics
- Future of Competition
IMPACT & OUTCOMES
As a result of participating in this program, you will be able to:
- More effectively lead from purpose, vision, and values
- Apply a strategic mindset to skillfully envision and communicate an enterprise strategy and desired future
- Leverage an enterprise perspective to integrate across functions and foster a results orientation throughout the organization
- Demonstrate a global orientation to decision making and systems thinking
- Enhance your personal well-being by more effectively balancing mental and physical demands with organizational imperatives
Education: MA, Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India; MBA, Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta; Ph.D., University of Minnesota Sankaran Venkataraman ("Venkat") is the MasterCard Professor of Business Administration and senior associate dean for Faculty and Research at the...
Wellness Program Coordinator, Darden School; Health Risk Reduction Services Coordinator, UVA Health System A registered dietician with a Master of Public Health, Bodily develops and delivers health, fitness and nutrition interventions and programs for public and corporate clients, including scho...
Education: Ph.D., Boston College; MS, State University of New York; B.S., Belarus State University Elena Loutskina, associate professor of business administration, teaches in the Finance area. Her research focuses on the impact of the securitization markets on the financial management of financi...
Education: A.B., Lafayette College; MA, Ph.D., University of Michigan Professor of Business Administration Alan R. Beckenstein is the coordinator of Darden's Global Economies and Markets area. His research and teaching address antitrust and competition policy. He serves as a consultant to gover...
Education: B.S., Virginia Commonwealth University; MBA, University of Virginia; M.Phil, Ph.D., Columbia University Gregory Fairchild is the E. Thayer Bigelow Associate Professor of Business Administration at the University of Virginia's Darden School of Business. Fairchild serves as an academic ...
Education: A.B., Middlebury College; MBA, University of California at Los Angeles; D.B.A., Harvard University Killgallon Ohio Art Professor Alexander Horniman teaches in the ethics, strategy and leadership areas at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business. He is also a senior fellow ...
Doug Thomas is a Professor of Business Administration at the Darden School of Business. Prior to joining Darden Doug was a professor of Supply Chain Management in the Smeal College of Business at Penn State where he was the faculty director of the MBA program from 2011 to 2014. He is a co-founde...
Education: B.A., Eureka College; MBA, University of Arizona, Eller School of Business; MS, Ph.D., Indiana University, Kelley School of Business Assistant Professor Kimberly A. Whitler teaches the First Year Marketing core course. Kim's research area is Marketing Strategy with a focus on understa...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.