Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program benefits senior finance executives who have significant experience in upper-level management or finance. This program will be valuable to executives from all industries and companies of all sizes from around the globe. Past Participants have come from companies such as The Dow Chemical Company, IBM, AbbVie, Express, Hyatt Hotels, and TOTO USA, Inc.
Applicants should have significant experience in upper-level management or finance.Titles include: CFO, deputy CFO, senior VP, finance director, treasurer, and controller.
About the course
Sharpen analytical skills, effectively manage relationships with internal and external constituencies, and drive strategic direction to lead enterprise transformation and growth, while applying cutting-edge research to the most pressing problems facing finance executives today.
The role of financial leaders today has evolved beyond strictly crunching numbers. Finance officers must be strategic leaders, effective communicators, and risk managers. Chicago Booth has assembled an interdisciplinary team of faculty from the fields of economics, finance, accounting, strategy, and leadership to create The Executive Program for Prospective CFOs.
Led by Randall Kroszner, Deputy Dean for Executive Programs, Norman R. Bobins Professor of Economics, and former Governor of the Federal Reserve System, this program draws upon Booth’s global expertise in finance and strong focus on economic research to address the most pressing issues facing senior finance executives today. The program also includes keynotes from distinguished practitioners who describe how they have managed strategic challenges in their organizations.
By attending this program, you will:
- Identify critical attributes needed to create a high-performance environment.
- Articulate the corporate message internally and externally.
- Analyze patterns in strategic thinking to identify a growth path.
- Discover the power of data in making marketing more accountable and understand the strategic and scientific approach to marketing analytics that results in higher ROI.
- Develop a strategic plan for M&A execution and implementation.
- Examine the valuation process for global investments and methods for calculating the cost of capital in an international context.
- Analyze the sources of financial fragility and regulatory responses.
- Learn how to harness continuous improvement and disruptive change to benefit the corporation.
High Performance Leadership
- The role of a leader in creating a high performance work environment
- Critical attributes that drive innovation and financial results
- Strategies and processes to implement
Straight Talk in Tough Times
- Communication in a crisis, good times, and unpleasant times
- How to match actions and words
- Practical strategies and tools for effective communication
- Proactive vs. reactive when the unexpected happens
- Formulate effective messages to different audiences
Evaluating Global Investments and the Cost of Capital
- Adapt capital budgeting to global opportunities
- How to incorporate political, expropriation, currency, and other international risks into the valuation process for global investments
- How globalization affects the cost of capital and what explains differences in firms’ cost of capital around the world
De-Risking Innovation Investments
- Understand where traditional funding and stage-gate processes fall short in promoting the right innovation projects
- Develop a tool kit for identifying and managing risk in your innovation pipeline
- Practice alternative tools for making decisions when reliable data is not available
Strategy Formulation and Implementation
- Why bother with strategy? What can strategy do? What happens if we don’t have a strategy? How can we think about reaching our goals?
- Develop two simple tools: a set of four generic questions that apply to all businesses, and a set of six powerful patterns that can be used to think about the way strategies are developed
- Apply this strategy framework to identify a logical path for growth
Strategic Risk Management and Financial Fragility
- Analyze sources of financial fragility and regulatory responses reshaping financial markets
- Assess implications the Federal Reserve’s and other central banks’ extraordinarily accommodative policies for volatility, “currency wars,” asset price bubbles, credit flows, inflation, and prospect for economic growth
- Learn the components of effective risk management
- Draw lessons from recent and historical crises to better prepare for and manage through future crises
Marketing Analytics to Drive Growth
- Understand the role and meaning of marketing analytics
- Learn how optimal marketing decisions and investments are made
- Discover the scientific power of data analysis in marketing decision-making linked to higher ROI
- Master the right questions to ask and make your marketing team accountable in the data-driven age
Strategic Communications Management
- Effectively manage investor base and quarterly earnings releases
- Corporate conference calls and earnings guidance
- Payout policy and signaling: dividends and repurchases
- Determinants of credit ratings: implications for capital structure
- Regulation FD and legal aspects of corporate disclosure policy
Acquisition Strategies and Merger Implementation
- The M&A process: strategy, valuation, and execution
The Entrepreneurial Leader: The Importance of Innovation in a VUCA World (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex & Ambiguous)
- Framework for innovation and entrepreneurial thinking
- How to harness continuous improvement and disruptive change
Neubauer Family Distinguished Service Professor of Entrepreneurship and Finance, University of Chicago Booth School of Business
I am the President and Chief Executive Officer of The Center for High Performance (CfHP). In this role, I act as a strategic advisor to CEOs of leading global companies on strategy attainment and business transformation. I have a strong track record of helping leaders maximize returns on strategi...
Randall S. Kroszner served as a Governor of the Federal Reserve System from 2006 until 2009. He chaired the committee on Supervision and Regulation of Banking Institutions and the committee on Consumer and Community Affairs. In these capacities, he took a leading role in developing responses to t...
Greg Bunch draws on a wealth of experience as an entrepreneur, manager, consultant, alderman, and teacher. He is the founder of Masterplan International Corporation, a strategy consulting firm. He was also a partner at Brandtrust, a brand strategy consultancy. Greg is a co-founder of Oration, a ...
Christian Leuz is the Joseph Sondheimer Professor of International Economics, Finance and Accounting at the University of Chicago''s Booth School of Business. He is also a Co-Director of the Initiative on Global Markets, a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research, and a Fell...
Jean-Pierre Dubé is the Sigmund E. Edelstone Professor of Marketing at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business. Professor Dubé is also director of the Kilts Center for Marketing at the Booth School and a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research. From 2008-2010, he...
Hal Weitzman is executive director for intellectual capital at the University of Chicago''s Booth School of Business. He is editor-in-chief of Chicago Booth Review and host of The Big Question, Booth''s monthly video panel discussion series. He was a reporter and editor at the Financial Times fro...
Lindsey Lyman is the founder of Growth Studios, an innovation consultancy that helps companies build profitable new businesses. Through her work as a practitioner, Lindsey also helps executives become stronger innovation leaders and helps organizations build innovation capabilities. She consults ...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.