Who should attend
The programme is designed to benefit:
- Current and aspiring Executive Directors of private, public and not-for-profit firms
- Current and aspiring Non-executive Directors and Independent Non-Executive Directors of private, public and not-for-profit firms
- Directors and Senior Managers of regulatory agencies
- Directors and Senior Managers of professional associations
About the course
The need to rethink the strategic role of the board is more pertinent now than ever. COVID-19, new CAMA 2021, cyber-attacks, declining revenues and profit, inflation, unemployment, migration and many other factors have contributed to the risks businesses face. However, even with the rapidly increasing challenges, the varied interests of stakeholders need to be pursued and achieved. Shareholders expect their dividends, employees want their wages/excellent working conditions, government demands compliance with regulations and taxes, and the community perceives Corporate Social Responsibility as their legitimate right t. The demands are tough and growing. Who will create the elephant that will satisfy everybody? The answer is the Board/Directors. Not only do they need deep understanding of the challenges, they need to lead in the formulation and implementation of a winning and sustainable strategy. To perform such key strategic and leadership responsibilities, the board should be properly informed, skilled and equipped to lead.
To be delivered by a faculty of experts with years of practical experience and involvement in over 25 different boards, the Effective Director/Board seminar is a concise and precise training that will enhance the knowledge and performance of boards and senior management. Using relevant concepts, frameworks, cases and peculiar Nigeria contexts, this seminar will provide the requisite training for a more effective governance and management of firms. At the end of the seminar, participants will gain a practical understanding of the pertinent responsibility of the director/board in creating and sustaining a profitable organisation.
Key Learning Objectives
At the end of this programme, you will have a:
- Detailed understanding of key economic trends, market insights and business challenges in Nigeria/Africa.
- Robust examination and understanding of the responsibilities, board structures, committees and challenges of being a director
- Good examination and understanding of the CAMA 2021 act and the implications for the board/director and the firm.
- Rich understanding of the link between strategy and firm performance, and the role of the director/board in ensuring effective strategy formulation and execution
- Detailed exposition and understanding of key financial issues and tactics to maintain good financial oversight
- Good understanding of the strategies to manage board crisis, board/management relationship, executive compensation and succession planning
- Detailed examination of key business risks and the role of the board in effective enterprise-wide risk management, business continuity planning and sustainability
- Critical analysis and understanding of the issues, challenges and prospects of the economy in the next 10 years.
- The board in the 21st century: Issues, Challenges and Prospects
- Board and strategy in a turbulent environment
- New CAMA 2021 and Implications for the Director, Board and the Firm
- Board ecosystem, structures, committees and responsibilities
- Fixing the board, managing board crisis & succession planning
- Understanding financials and effective financial oversight
- Board, enterprise-wide risk management and business continuity
- The risky business of being a director, board and sustainability
- Sustaining board effectiveness and directors round table
Кayode is a Faculty in finance and strategy at the Lagos Business School. He was formerly the Academic Director of the International Management Programme (IMP), inaugural chairman of the Assurance of Learning (AOL), Committee and deputy chairman of the Curriculum Development and Assurance of Lear...
He has a PhD in Law and Economics of Banking Regulation, MSc in Economics and Post-graduate Diploma in Development Economics from University of Manchester, UK. In addition, he also has MSc in Comparative Political Economy from Cardiff University, UK and BSc in Sociology from the University of Lag...
Professor Ogbechie has a first-class honours degree in mechanical engineering from Manchester University, an MBA from Manchester Business School and a PhD in Business Administration from Brunel Business School in the UK. He has vast experience in marketing, strategy and corporate governance deri...
Fabian Ajogwu is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and currently a professor of Corporate Governance at Lagos Business School, where he has been teaching Business Law, Negotiation and Corporate Governance for well over 16 years. He has written over 10 books, published numerous articles in peer-r...
Olawale Ajai is a professor of legal, social and political environment of business. He is the Director of Research, an author and co-author of several books and many learned articles. He has also drafted federal and state legislations. He benefited from business, community and inter-personal neg...
Isaac Orolugbagbe is a Senior Fellow at the Strategy, Entrepreneurship and SPEB Department of Lagos Business School and an Adjunct Faculty, Strategy & Corporate Governance at Strathmore Business School, Nairobi, Kenya. His areas of interest include business strategy, innovation and corporate...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.