Who should attend
The programme is designed to benefit:
- Current and aspiring Executive Directors of private, public and not-for-profit firms
- Current and aspiring Non-executive Directors and Independent Non-Executive Directors of private, public and not-for-profit firms
- Directors and Senior Managers of regulatory agencies
- Directors and Senior Managers of professional associations
About the course
In Nigeria, current business challenges such as rising cost of doing business, policy uncertainty and unpredictability, liquidity problems, varied business risks and rising unemployment expectedly demand a re-think of business strategies and pro-active/ efficient management of business challenges and problems. As the board is central to the development and execution of robust strategies, it is pertinent that they are constantly abreast of key issues and developments not only in their industry but in the local and global economy; however, this is not sufficient. Growing a business in the turbulent business environment requires a holistic understanding of the complex correlation among the different types of business challenges and the role of the director/board in effective strategy planning, execution and management of the firm. To perform such strategic and leadership responsibilities, it is important that the director/board is very conversant with key and emerging governance/management issues. These include:
Board and strategy and the role of the board in crafting, implementing, reviewing and sustaining the short, medium and long term vision and strategy of the firm Board/management relationship and stakeholders’ engagement Financial issues and financial oversight Executive compensation, board evaluation, performance and succession planning The role of the board in enterprise-wide risk management Board ecosystems, structures, committees and responsibilities
Key Learning Objectives
- Robust examination and understanding of the key responsibilities, board structures, committees and challenges of being a director
- An understanding of the link between strategy and firm performance, and the role of the director/board in ensuring effective strategy formulation and execution
- Detailed exposition and understanding of the key financial issues and tactics to maintain good financial oversight
- Good understanding of the strategies to manage board crisis, board/management relationship and succession planning
- Detailed examination of key business risks and the role of the board in effective enterprise-wide risk management
- The board in the 21st century: Issues, Challenges and Prospects
- Board and strategy in a turbulent environment
- Board ecosystem, structures, committees and responsibilities
- Fixing the board, managing board crisis & succession planning
- Understanding financials and effective financial oversight
- Board and enterprise-wide risk management
- The risky business of being a director
- Board and sustainability
- Sustaining board effectiveness
- Directors round table
He has a PhD in Law and Economics of Banking Regulation, MSc in Economics and Post-graduate Diploma in Development Economics from University of Manchester, UK. In addition, he also has MSc in Comparative Political Economy from Cardiff University, UK and BSc in Sociology from the University of Lag...
Professor Ogbechie has a first-class honours degree in mechanical engineering from Manchester University, an MBA from Manchester Business School and a PhD in Business Administration from Brunel Business School in the UK. He has vast experience in marketing, strategy and corporate governance deri...
Dr. Ovadje has a doctorate in Business Administration from IESE Business School, Spain. She leads sessions in Human Resource Management, Leadership & Organizational Change in both local and international programmes. She is an active consultant to industry. Her current research interests inclu...
Fabian Ajogwu is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and currently a professor of Corporate Governance at Lagos Business School, where he has been teaching Business Law, Negotiation and Corporate Governance for well over 16 years. He has written over 10 books, published numerous articles in peer-r...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.