The Director Development Programme
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with University of Salford, Manchester.Full disclaimer.
Designed and delivered by the University of Salford Business School, the Director Development Programme is a 5-day course that prepares new and experienced Directors to excel in their role. The course features experienced tutors who have theoretical and practical knowledge of what it takes to become successful in and out of the boardroom. The course is a fast track and intense insight to the role of a Director.
Directors provide strong leadership to an organisation and are legally responsible for their organisation success, delivering value to shareholders.
This accelerated five-day course run by Salford Business School and their experienced tutors will allow Directors to become aware of their legal obligations in running an organisation and allows them to understand more about what makes a successful Director.
Directors will spend less time out of the organisation whilst receiving a Chartered Management Institute level 8 accreditation. They will be able to take back learnings straight away so that the organisation will see immediate results.
Ongoing support will also be provided by our team of industry leading NEDs and Directors who will be on hand to ensure Directors embrace new trends and management theory.
Day 1: STRATEGY
- Operating strategically and operationally and what makes a great strategist?
- Using tools to assess suitable strategic options for your organisation and gaining board consensus
- Constructing a change programme by reviewing your organisational strengths and weaknesses
- How to best implement your strategy and mitigate potential risks
Day 2: FINANCE
- Understand what the Director’s role is with finance, and what are the legal responsibilities
- Review and understand the most common financial reports and statements – what do they mean and what are they telling you
- Be able to use basic financial ratios to assess the health of an organisation and to be able to make key strategic financial decisions
- Assess your organisation’s governance and control – what are the risks and opportunities and how effective are your finance team
- Learn how to raise funding and use / manage debt to the organisation’s advantage
Day 3: MARKETING & DIGITA
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data
- Social media
- Current consumer trends and behaviour that can shape your strategy
- Looking at key business models in helping you shape a strategic marketing plan
Day 4: LEADERSHIP AND CHANGE
- What it takes to be a leader and how to become more self-aware
- How leaders embrace and mange change, and how they can use data to drive their thinking and shape strategy
- Managing performance and building high performing teams
- Encouraging diversity in the workplace
- Driving resilience across the organisation
- Using key coaching and mentoring skills to drive results
Day 5; GOVERNANCE
- Review of the Corporate governance code - what does this mean to you?
- Digital data responsibilities in respect of GDPR
- Understand your legal responsibilities as a director according to the Law
- Managing risk in your business
- Employee rights and Health & Safety responsibilities as a director
- The different legal requirements for different types of organisations
- Statutory reporting
- Understand the basic legal requirements that a Director must fulfil and provide an insight into the steps that can be taken to ensure risks are mitigated for the Director and the organisation;
- Be confident in reading financial reports that Directors must understand, including P&L, Balance Sheet and cashflow reporting. Ensure you can read the numbers as well as the words!
- Improve your confidence in Board Meetings by understanding how to play your part in the board room by challenging and influencing others effectively;
- Take away ideas that you and your peers can use to develop effective organisational strategies that will promote innovation and value;
- Be aware of your own leadership ability and how to use this to drive change and influence your teams;
- Understand the role marketing plays in the organisation and how to analyse competition, trends and behaviours that will shape your strategy and exploit new opportunities;
- Gain an overview of how technology is changing the marketing landscape and what you can do to make sure your organisation stays relevant;
- Build a network of trusted business leaders through our Alumni Community.
Who should attend
This Programme welcomes current Directors, those aspiring to get in and stay in the boardroom, Senior Managers, NEDs and chairpersons.