Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
This program is designed for leaders and teams in the public sector, primarily at the Manager or Director level (i.e., in the Federal Public Service, leaders at the EX minus 1, EX 1 level, or equivalent), who have an official or unofficial role as a change agent within their organizational unit.
About the course
Telfer’s program is a unique response to the learning and development needs that we have heard expressed by change leaders that we work with. Our highly experiential, hands-on approach to learning helps leaders effectively plan and implement new and ongoing change initiatives. Our team will work intensively with participants through a series of modules that covers step-by-step strategies, tools and techniques as well as offers real-time advice and coaching on scoping a real workplace initiative, engaging key stakeholders and integrating change into the ongoing operating context, taking into account the unique realities of public sector organizations. In addition to our typical focus on the practice of leadership, our partnership with Prosci will bring a proven change methodology to the program and will provide additional e-learning modules for participants to access.
This is not a project management program. This program is a series of workshops which build on one another, designed to introduce concepts while offering real-time clinics where our expert advisors and fellow participants can offer strategic advice on how to move forward with your change initiative. From our experience, there is no standardized recipe or toolkit for managing change, but there are a number of important principles, frameworks, approaches and leadership behaviors that lead to success. With this in mind, we have created a program that it is customized and responsive to the particular issues and questions that leaders bring forward while leading change initiatives.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
By the end of the 6-month process, participants will have achieved the following outcomes:
- You will be comfortable with a variety of methods and frameworks that can effectively support change initiatives and will be equipped to select and/or adapt the right tools for your own change initiative.
- You will be comfortable with a variety of strategies and tools for dealing with resistance and obstruction and for assessing risk while managing a change process.
- You will be able to communicate your chosen strategies and methods for leading your change initiative to stakeholders, to clients, to change teams and to senior executives that you wish to engage and will be confident in your ability as a change leader.
- Clarify your personal principles for change
- Analyze the scope and impact of your initiative - targeting key players and stakeholder groups that need to be involved
- Develop your change strategy so that it clearly aligns with organizational requirements/strategy
- Identify approaches to address resistance and support system-wide learning
- Apply concepts and frameworks to specifically tailor your change strategy
- Strengthen your personal change leadership skills – including communication skills (e.g. building a shared vision), influencing skills and stakeholder engagement strategies
- Develop a deeper understanding of how to work with organizational culture while integrating and normalizing change
Ingrid Richter is an Executive in Residence at the Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa and Partner, Threshold Associates. Her teaching, action research and consulting work has three major areas of focus: leadership development, facilitating complex, multi-stakeholder change proces...
Lynn Davies is an organizational effectiveness consultant with 40 years’ experience. She is a member of the faculty in the University of Ottawa’s Executive MBA and part of the Telfer Executive Programs Community of Practice, with whom she has been Academic Director for the Quality Improvement and...
Karen Ellis is an accomplished senior executive with over 30 years of diverse experience in the federal public service encompassing policy, operations, service delivery and 3 regional assignments. She has worked in 11 different departments including the Privy Council Office, National Defence, th...
Linda Lizotte-MacPherson is a recently retired senior executive that currently serves on boards, and provides coaching, teaching and strategic advice to senior executives in the Federal Government and industry. She brings a unique blend of experience and an exemplary track record of leadership in...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.