Who should attend
This course is for fashion designers, fashion students and fashion enthusiasts who simply want to gain a greater understanding of sustainable fashion design.
About the course
Sustainable fashion has become an integral part of the fashion industry, whether you are practicing in the mainstream or the emerging market. Instead of being seen as a challenge for fashion designers and product developers, it's now viewed as an opportunity for brands to differentiate themselves from the competition. It requires more than a surface understanding of the issues and the responses to be able to make informed decisions based on social and environmental impacts. This course provides an overview of sustainable fashion design practices, with examples of how designers can incorporate them into their work.
The course will review the impacts of the mainstream fashion industry, as well as explore strategies to incorporate sustainable design concepts, conscious material choices and strategies for cyclability. Each week we will explore a specific aspect of the industry, and assign a task in response. The following week we will discuss your work with feedback from the tutor as well as your peers.
By the end of the course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the major environmental and human impacts of the mainstream fashion system
- Learn about sustainable design responses to those impacts
- Build a material knowledge that will enable you to make smarter material choices
- Understand the various cyclability and circularity strategies
- Learn strategies to create systemic change through design thinking and processes for a more sustainable fashion industry
- Address the ethics of cultural appropriation, diversity, and ideals of beauty in fashion
- Through small manageable projects gain hands on experience of the issues
- The main impacts of mainstream fashion production and consumption
- Alternative strategies for sustainable fashion
- Material impacts
- Circularity and cyclability
- Design strategies
- Ethical issues
All our Online Short Courses include:
Live online lessons with the same tutors The same course content and learning outcomes Lesson recordings, for review Access to VLE with course content Forums for support 2 weeks online access Certificate upon completion
Sass Brown is the Founding Dean of the Dubai Institute of Design and Innovation. Prior to joining DIDI, Sass was the Interim Dean for the Fashion Institute of Technology’s School of Art and Design in New York. She is a graduate of FIT’s Global Fashion Management Masters program, holds her Bachelo...
Read more about Digital Transformation
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.