Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
Although there are no formal education or background requirements, this course is designed for executives who meet the criteria below. While we strongly encourage global participation, please note that all courses are taught in English. Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Years of Experience – This course is designed for professionals with 5+ years of work experience
- Job Functions – Ideal for executives with existing leadership responsibilities, or who will be managing organizational change and growth
- Prerequisites – Intended for individuals who want to understand and develop their ability to lead organizational growth
About the course
Change or wither? Contemporary business environments are placing business leaders in increasingly challenging situations, that demand an ability to navigate an increasing pace, volume and complexity of industry and organizational change. This course is designed to guide leaders through the process of initiating and implementing successful change that ensure continuous strategic viability and growth.
This program will focus on methodologies and tools that help executives plan and implement change more effectively, rapidly and proactively. Participants will discuss theories and best practices of change, learn to diagnose change needs of their company, develop a change plan and examine cases that illustrate different change implementation techniques. The exploration of these cases will deepen participants’ understanding of the challenges, burdens and key practices associated with leading a major change in an organization.
- Theories of Change – Acquire deep understanding of the phenomenon of change learning the theories, challenges and strategies of effecting change management in organizations
- Importance of Leadership – Examine the central role of strong leadership in implementing organizational changes that stick and develop awareness regarding your personal capacity to lead change
- Change Toolkit – Understand how to identify and diagnose change needs within your company, and learn the practices of developing an effective change plan
Session 1: Mapping Change Forces across Industries
- Global trends, changes in industry environments and the emergence of the knowledge economy
- Implications these trends have for management in general and change management specifically
Session 2: What Do We Mean by "Change": The Theoretical Foundation of Change Management
- How do we think of change?
- Is change really possible?
- How often do change initiatives fail and why?
- Key literature and cases
Session 3: Learning to Effectively Diagnose Change Needs in Your Organization
- The first of three steps to manage change: “Diagnosis”
- Practices and methodologies used to effectively diagnose organizational change needs
Session 4: Installing a Strategic Change Vision for Organizational Transformation
- The second step to manage change: “Invent”
- Future-oriented foresights, forecast developing, future scenarios planning and the role of vision in mobilizing change
Session 5: Assessing and Dissolving Change Resistance
- The third step to manage change: “Implement”
- Building flexibility and the capacity of the company to adapt and adjust
- Aspects of change deployment and the barriers to successful implementation
Session 6: The Step-by-Step of Change Development Plan: A Hands-On Approach
- Step-based approach to change plan development
- In-depth review of critical actions for each stage of the plan development process
Session 7: Best Practices of Leading Successful Transformations in Organizations
- The ‘right’ approach to change plan development and deployment – who’s done it right, why, and what can we learn and benchmark in our own change plans?
Session 8: Establishing Your Change Leadership Capacity
- Change leadership practices that work best in proactively and effectively leading organizations and people through uncertainty and transitions
Anat Lechner is a Clinical Associate Professor of Management and Organizations at NYU Stern. Professor Lechner earned her Ph.D. in Organization Management from Rutgers University in 2000. She is also the recipient of the GE Teaching Excellence award. Professor Lechner's research focuses on how o...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.