Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with INSEAD Business School.Full disclaimer.
About the course
Develop a business perspective to make product innovation happen
As a manager involved in product innovation, your role is becoming more and more crucial to your organisation’s competitive advantage, growth and profitability. Our Strategic R&D Management programme is a comprehensive exploration of the world of product innovation and how it can drive business strategy and development across multiple functions.
A much sought after programme for over 20 years, Strategic R&D Management continues to evolve so that the content is consistent with the changing global business environment, keeps up with technology and remains at the forefront of product development.
HOW YOU BENEFIT
- A broader strategic perspective. View R&D from a strategic perspective rather than as a collection of development projects.
- More business strategy initiatives. Develop tools to translate business strategy into a portfolio of innovation initiatives and to measure performance of uncertain and long-term innovation.
- Enhanced planning and processes. Build processes and structures to enhance your organisation’s capability to generate creative ideas for different purposes and with different degrees of novelty.
Over five intensive days of case studies, experiential exercises, group work and lectures, the programme explores the business outcomes of R&D. It includes the following components.
MANAGING A PORTFOLIO OF PROCESSES FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF INNOVATIONS
- Why is it important that portfolio management goes beyond financial evaluations?
- What are the best practices for devising competitive portfolios?
INNOVATION STRATEGY AND EXECUTION
- What are the ways in which R&D can contribute optimally to overall company goals?
- Are there alternative sources of innovation other than product or technology?
MEASURING R&D INNOVATION PERFORMANCE
- Why are many current evaluation systems unsatisfactory?
- What does a good R&D measurement system look like?
STRUCTURES FOR PORTFOLIO INNOVATION
- What does good team management consist of?
- How do you put in place structures when teams are globally diverse?
ORGANISATIONAL INNOVATIVENESS AND IDEA CREATION
- Which R&D processes foster creative organisations?
- How can we increase organisational creativity?
Who should attend
Strategic R&D Management brings together an experienced group of executives from a great diversity of industries and countries. It is designed specifically for senior managers involved in product innovation – either directly or because this is a major focus of their organisation.
Trust the experts
Margaret Thatcher Professor of Enterprise Studies in Innovation & Growth Director of the Entrepreneurship Centre Diploma (National Technical University of Athens), MSc, PhD (INSEAD) Research interests The effectiveness of new product development (NPD) decisions with a particular focus on...
Jürgen Mihm is an Associate Professor of Technology and Operations Management at INSEAD. His research interests are concerned with all management aspects of large engineering projects. He holds a Doctorate in Technology Management from Wissenschaftliche Hochschule Koblenz (WHU) and a joint degree...
Ludo Van Der Heyden
Ludo Van der Heyden has been Professor of Technology Management at INSEAD since 1988. He is actively teaching in the MBA, Executive, and PhD Programmes. He holds the INSEAD Chair in Corporate Governance. He is actively contributing to the MBA, Executive and PhD Programmes, and is the Academic Dir...