Strategic Leadership for Humanitarian Security
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with IE Business School.Full disclaimer.
The complexity of the humanitarian arena requires that Security Professionals of non-profits be adaptive, ambiguity-tolerant and creative, be able to lead change, build and work in teams, communicate complex ideas to win support, and have strong analytic skills. They also need to act quickly, often with incomplete information and with the big picture in mind. Solid project management skills, from developing strategic business plans to implementation with very limited time and resources, are moreover crucial in the non-profit arena.
The Strategic Leadership for Humanitarian Security program aims to equip NGO Security Professionals with management skills necessary to reach even greater heights in the non-profit space. This unique program, initiated and designed together with World Vision International (WVI) and the European Interagency Security Forum (EISF), brings together business and non-profit learning, thereby broadening horizons and maximizing the benefits for humanitarian executives.
MODULE 1: STRATEGY
- Management Strategy 101: strategy (good strategy, bad strategy), business model, strategic agenda
- Strategic Management Frameworks for Dummies
- Management Strategy beyond Economics
- Successfully grafting the Management and the Security Perspective
MODULE 2: NEGOTIATION SKILLS
- What is negotiation? Theoretical background, key concepts and tools
- Concessions, deadlocks, principled negotiation
- Complex Negotiations: Challenges of multi-attribute negotiations
- Open debate, impact of emotions in negotiations, negotiating in multicultural environments
MODULE 3: FINANCE & FUNDING
- Remembering the future: how financial reporting works
- The dark side of numbers: costing
- Imagining the future: budgeting and project analysis
- The Babel Tower: multi-currency operations
- Comprehensive case: real-life project quantification – financial projections, budget and financial valuation
MODULE 4: LEADERSHIP
- Mindset change in a VUCA world
- Transformational & Innovative Leadership, Team Building, and Teamwork
- Skills and attitudes
- Exercises and Role Plays
- Final Challenge and Wrap Up
CONCLUDING MODULE: INDUSTRY DISCUSSION
Humanitarian Security Risk Management, What Is It And What Will It Look Like In The Future?
The objective of Day 1 is to facilitate a discussion among participants and invited experts about the key questions currently facing the sector:
- What makes Humanitarian Security Risk Management different?
- What are the Expectations for Strategic Leadership?
- Where do we go from here?
Who should attend
The program is designed for senior-level Security Managers of nongovernment organizations who seek to advance their careers, teams, and organizations, and are open to challenging their current mental models and their understanding of change and innovation.