Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
Who should attend
Strategic Decision Making for Leaders is designed for:
- Senior executives and key decision-makers
- Managers responsible for building high-performing teams
- Managers who frequently lead projects and want to improve their ability to make smart, sound decisions
This programme particularly benefits executives who must frequently make strategic decisions under high levels of uncertainty.
About the course
Leading a team, board or company to success involves making critical decisions, giving sound advice, and evaluating the decisions that produce different outcomes. However, in fast-changing business environments, managers must often make decisions under severe time constraints and with insufficient information. In these situations, if they rely only on habitual problem-solving techniques and intuition, they can fall prey to unconscious biases that hinder their ability to make the best decisions.
Strategic Decision Making for Leaders is aimed at executives who make important decisions in their organisations and are responsible for establishing decision-making processes. Over three immersive days, the programme delivers the tools and frameworks to help you improve your decision-making and better guide your team’s decisions.
Through interactive classroom sessions, case discussions, simulations and group exercises, you will develop a practical understanding of what drives your own behaviour and that of the people around you. As you analyse the psychological processes behind decision-making in the face of uncertainty, you will strengthen your ability to recognise and overcome systematic biases in the context of your working environment. You will also gain a set of easy-to-use rules that can help you challenge assumptions, support smarter decision-making processes, and build exceptional teams.
The programme examines how short-term decision-making can create obstacles that hinder organisations in the long term – for example, when it comes to recruitment or succession planning. You will explore how to adopt more sustainable decision-making processes to help your organisation avoid the pitfalls of a short-term focus, particularly in high-risk environments.
You will return to work with a comprehensive understanding of the strategic decision-making process, along with concrete guidelines on how to make better decisions, apply efficient processes, and consistently deliver results.
How you benefit
- Develop critical thinking, sharpening your intuition in the face of risk and uncertainty
- Learn ways to discover, manage, mitigate and avoid traps in decision-making
- Learn to leverage the power of ‘nudges’ – a light-touch way to influence human behaviour and improve decision-making
- Boost your ability to build high-performing teams by understanding the circumstances in which teams can make better decisions than individuals
- Become a more strategic leader and decision-maker by understanding the long-term impact your decisions can have on your organisation
Strategic Decision Making for Leaders brings together quantitative analysis drawn from management science and psychology, in the decision science tradition. The programme is divided into two parts.
Part I. Decision-making: Building an effective team
When it comes to minimising cognitive bias, are groups better than individuals? Or is this true only for groups that follow a rigorous decision-making process? Learn to build an exceptional team that outperforms individuals and improves decision-making at the highest level.
Develop critical thinking
- Learn about the cognitive processes behind the biases that affect decision-making
- Gain insights on improving individual and team judgements, decision-making and decision processes
- Discover obstacles to change, and devise effective methods for moving past them
Improve decision processes
- Understand the typical steps in any organisation’s decision process – and implications on risk management and leading change
- Navigate common traps in implementing a rigorous process of decision-making
- Understand the different roles that individuals and groups
- Discover how decision processes can be managed more fairly
- Accelerate your learning by applying easy-to-use rules
Part II. Decision-making: Nudges for sustainable leadership
This part of the programme focuses on decision-making and nudges in the context of long-term sustainability and leadership. You will explore ways to help your organisation mitigate the risks of short-term thinking and improve decision-making for the long term.
Design insightful experiments and tap into the power of nudges
- Learn what nudges are, and why governments and organisations use them to influence the behavioural choices and decision-making of groups and individuals
- Learn to apply simple data science techniques and devise insightful experiments to improve individual and team judgement and decision-making
- Understand which tasks are best undertaken by humans rather than left to statistical algorithms and automation
Drive long-term sustainability through better decision-making
- Discover how the decisions you make as a result of cognitive biases can hinder your organisation in the long term
- Learn practical tools to mitigate cognitive biases to improve long-term decision-making
- Learn how you can tackle the problem of ‘short-termism’, particularly in large organisations regularly exposed to severe risks and uncertainties
Enrico Diecidue is a Professor of Decision Sciences at INSEAD. In 1996 he obtained his degree in Economics, with a specialisation in Mathematical Economics, from Bocconi University, Italy. He then joined the CentER (Center for Economic Research), Tilburg University, the Netherlands, where he rece...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.