Who should attend
- C-suite and senior-level executives seeking an overview of project management as well as insights on choosing the most appropriate project approach based on their strategic objective
- Highly experienced PMP-certified project managers looking to go deeper than traditional PMP courses and develop their leadership skills in project management
- Consultants who need the skill to articulate the case for projects and influence multiple stakeholders.
About the course
Today’s companies understand that successful project management is crucial for business growth and organisational change. And while many are actively looking for ways to expand their project management capabilities in order to take on more complex and novel projects, few have been able to successfully connect the dots between their strategic goals and their project goals.
This programme presents concepts essential for developing these broader project capabilities, enabling leaders to fill in the context gaps within their projects and to envision what shape the implementation might take within their organisations.
While other programmes focus on the technical aspects of project management, Steering Complex Projects explores three different project types: execution, novel and change. Each type of project must be managed differently, taking into account the politics and negotiation of strategy within projects.
As a participant, you will also learn how to build the personnel and incentive structure necessary to identify the right project for your strategy and implement it.
The programme includes video lectures, discussions, live online teaching sessions and assignments. We expect participants to dedicate four to six hours per week over the eight weeks of the programme.
- Module 1: Projects as Strategic Change
- Module 2: Execution Projects
- Module 3: Novel Projects
- Module 4: Change Projects
- Module 5: Managing People & Teams
- Module 6: Governance
- Module 7: Partners
- Module 8: Learning & Integration
An opportunity to learn online from the faculty and associates of Cambridge Judge Business School Executive Education and gain an international experience and perspective from your global peer group.
After completing this programme, you will be able to:
- Translate high level strategic goals into project goals
- Identify the key characteristics of different types of projects, and articulate the appropriate management and personnel systems for each
- Anticipate project uncertainties and take mitigating or responsive actions
- Build a framework for managing governance structures with accountability measures
- Develop effective practices in relationship management and exercising influence
- Apply established methods of knowledge exchange and learning tools in a way that is appropriate to the challenges of a project.
Director of Cambridge Judge Business School Professor of Management Studies Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Ing. (Darmstadt Institute of Technology), MBA (University of Tennessee, Knoxville), PhD (Stanford Graduate School of Business) Research interests How organisations make innovation happen; this includes...
Reader in Operations Management Director of Executive Education MBA, PhD (Case Western University) Research interests Project management; knowledge management; business value of technology. Subject group: Operations & Technology Management Professional experience Dr Sengupta has served as...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.