Who should attend
The Sports Philanthropy Certificate addresses the needs of people working with:
- Professional Sport Teams
- Professional Sport Leagues
- Professional Athlete Foundations
- Sport-Related Companies Working in Corporate Social Responsibility
- Nonprofits Using Sports for Social Good
- Professionals interested in starting a new career in sports philanthropy
About the course
The Sports Philanthropy Executive Certificate Program, the first and premiere program of its kind, provides a groundbreaking online curriculum tailored to the unique needs of those who work for professional sports teams, leagues, athletic foundations, sports-related companies with an emphasis on corporate social responsibility, non-profits using sports for social good and for individuals looking to enter the field. The program is in partnership with the GW Sports Management MBA Program, ranked the number three postgraduate sports business program in the country by SportBusiness International Magazine.
Built around your busy schedule, the certificate includes 10 core online courses, guest calls with industry leaders and a capstone project that will bring together elements of what students learn during the program. The program also includes a two-day in-person residency at the beginning of each cohort. This residency will not only provide an opportunity for experiential learning but will allow time to meet fellow students and exchange ideas.
Students Can Expect To...
- Learn what makes sports philanthropy unique.
- Know how to develop a clear and focused mission.
- Recognize the key components of a successful strategic plan.
- Build skills for developing programs that meet organizational goals and have deep impact.
- Understand how to identify and secure potential partners for effective collaboration.
- Learn different assessment methodology and know how to collect, analyze, and use data effectively and efficiently.
- Develop skills to market and gain recognition for programs.
- Discover unique assets and be able to creatively leverage these for marketing, funding, programming or other purposes.
- Find out legal risks and liabilities associated with the unique culture of sports.
- Hear from experts who offer new and innovative ways to obtain funding for programs.
- Identify successful models of board governance and management.
- Interact with other students to share ideas and learn new approaches to challenges and opportunities.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.