Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
Explore key concepts used by professionals to help grow your business or personal brand through online marketing and social media. Increase your knowledge of social media tools, website development and maintenance, web analytics, search engine utilization, basic content creation, and copyright. These transferable skills and strategies offer you the foundation needed to start engaging audiences across popular social media platforms.
Course at a glance
- Fully online asynchronous course, accessible through eClass, the University of Alberta’s eLearning management tool.
- Aimed at those who want to better reach and communicate with their target audiences while understanding and building social media skills, including small business owners and those working in government, small to large enterprises, not-for-profits, and board-run organizations.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify the characteristics of and relationship between traditional and social media marketing.
- Investigate appropriate tools for your purpose, audience, and content requirements.
- Understand, navigate, and interact on current social media platforms, websites, and blogs.
- Make use of available technologies to monitor, position, and measure other social media tools.
- This course has the equivalent of three hours of online instruction per week (including voice over PowerPoints, readings, and resource links), plus weekly assignments.
- Students are encouraged to build relationships and network with their classmates through forums and discussions.
- While there are no prerequisites for this course, a general working knowledge of Social Media platforms is recommended for student success.
- You will be expected to have existing social media accounts or to create them prior to the course start date.
Read more about Business Analytics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.