About the course
LEARN WHAT IT TAKES TO OPTIMIZE PRODUCTIVITY
Smart Production Systems (SPS) are manufacturing systems capable of self-diagnosing and autonomously designing optimal continuous improvement projects. This online course provides an introduction to SPS technology and relation with Industry 4.0, enabling learners to participate in the design, implementation, and operation of PMA-based SPS.
- Introduction to SPS, PMA, and PMA-based SPS (38 min)
- SPS vs Other Managerial Techniques (31 min)
- Types of Production Systems, Machine and Buffer Parameters, and Performance Metrics used in PSE and PMA (42 min)
- PSE and PSE Toolbox concepts embedded in PMA (48 min)
- PSE Toolbox Modules for Performance Analysis, Bottleneck Identification, and What-if Analysis (24 min)
- PSE Toolbox Modules for Leanness Lead Time Analysis and Control, MJP Performance Portrait, and Quality (37 min)
- PMA and PMA-based SPS Architecture, SPS Databases, and Steps for SPS Deploymentt (44 min)
- Demonstration of PMA-based SPS Operation at Large and Small Production Systems (57 min)
Course Summary and Extensions (28 min)
TIME COMMITMENT AND WORK PACE
Each course contains 4-6 hours of online instruction divided into shorter modules to make it easy to learn at your own pace.
You will have 180 days from your course start date to complete the course.
Successful completion requires you to view all course modules and receive an 80% passing grade on the course assessment. Upon completing these requirements, you will earn a digital badge for your resume or LinkedIn page.
CERTIFICATE OPTION AND SPECIALIZATIONS
Upon successful completion of 4 CCET courses, you will receive a U-M Certificate of Achievement.
Select 4 courses from one concentration to deepen your knowledge in a subject or area. If you choose a specialization, your certificate will note the specialization you completed.
PREREQUISITES & TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
There are no prerequisites for this course. A bachelor's degree in a science, engineering, or technical field is recommended but not required.
Administrative/Online Technical Support
Support staff are available via phone and email to help with administrative and technical issues during our normal business hours (Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time).
- Acquire understanding of the field of Smart Production Systems, namely, SPS structure, information requirements, and potential effectiveness
- Acquire a working knowledge of Programmable Manufacturing Advisor, enabling the PMA application for designing effective continuous improvement project
- Develop skills necessary for managing PMA-based SPS
- Be able to participate in programming and installation of PMA-based SPS on the factory; specifically, assisting in developing a mathematical model of the production system at hand and forming the equipment status database
- Be able to evaluate SPS efficacy, as compared with other types of production systems management (i.e., by experience, intuition, discrete-event simulations, etc.)
Semyon M. Meerkov received the MS in EE from the Polytechnic of Kharkov, Kharkov, Ukraine, in 1962, and the PhD in Systems Science from the Institute of Control Sciences, Moscow, Russia, in 1966. He was with the Institute of Control Sciences until 1977. From 1979 to 1984, he was with the Departme...
Liang Zhang received the BS and MS degrees from the Center for Intelligent and Networked Systems, Department of Automation, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, in 2002 and 2004, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering - Systems from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA...
Pooya Alavian received his BS and MS degrees in Industrial Engineering from Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, in 2011 and 2013, respectively. Since 2013, he has been a doctoral student in the Manufacturing Engineering program at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI. His resear...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.