Who should attend
- Professionals new to the HR field
- Job seekers who are thinking about a career in HR or recent graduates looking to enhance their resume
- Small business owners
- Managers and professionals with HR responsibilities
About the course
Understanding HR can be challenging. Every day you’re presented with a wide range of situations unlike those facing any other profession.
Career advancement comes with knowing how to address common as well as unexpected HR matters with confidence. Villanova's SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course not only helps you spot potential HR issues; it gives you the tools to manage them.
Developed by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the world’s largest HR association and leading advocate for HR professionals, SHRM Essentials of Human Resources is the first introductory-level HR program to incorporate components of the SHRM Body of Competency and Knowledge™ (SHRM BoCK™) and provides insight into the standards for knowledge, strategies and competencies required of effective HR professionals around the world. While this course doesn’t prepare you for the SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification exam, it helps set the stage for those interested in pursuing certification. For HR professionals preparing to sit for the SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification exam, Villanova also offers a SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP Certification Exam Preparation course.
Upon completion of the SHRM Essentials of Human Resources course, you will:
- Increase your understanding of human resource issues facing organizations today.
- Expand your awareness of HR behavioral competencies.
- Gain practical expertise to increase job skills.
The blended learning experience combines print and online tools with the benefits of an instructor-led class. Villanova's HR instructors are practicing HR professionals with decades of experience that they utilize in class by presenting real world case studies and situations.
By taking this course, you'll benefit from:
- Easy to access, convenient HR reference materials covering six key HR topics, including talent acquisition, compensation and rewards, learning and development, performance management, and employment law.
- Up-to-date information on HR laws and regulations, with insight on how to avoid lawsuits and potential mishaps.
- A personalized Smart Study plan to identify learning priorities and estimate study time.
- Web-based study tools and resources, such as a resource center, glossary and threaded case study, to reinforce your learning.
The SHRM Essentials course provides knowledge and skills you can use immediately. It addresses six key human resource management practices, which are compiled into one comprehensive course book for easy reference.
Module 1: Human Resource Management
- Define human resource management.
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of HR professionals.
- Explain and strengthen the alignment between strategic planning and HR planning.
Module 2: Employment Law
- Federal EEO legislation
- The EEOC and affirmative action
- Compensation legislation
- Other federal employment laws
- Employee handbooks
Module 3: Recruitment and Selection
- Evaluate recruiting methods and their effectiveness.
- Analyze and evaluate job candidates.
- Recognize biases in the interview process and how to eliminate them.
- Explain the selection process and identify key selection tools.
Module 4: Compensation and Benefits
- Explain the basic elements of a total compensation system.
- Understand the role of base pay, incentives and differentials in employee compensation.
- Explain the four key steps of the compensation system design process.
- Provide an overview of benefits commonly offered by employers.
Module 5: Employee Development
- Understand the importance of learning styles and adult learning principles in development training.
- Explain the purposes of orientation, onboarding, training and development.
- Identify on-the-job and off-the-job training strategies.
- Identify key professional development tools.
- Explain the four levels of evaluation.
Module 6: Performance Management
- Describe the performance evaluation process and systems.
- Identify common evaluation errors.
- Conduct effective disciplinary meetings.
- Identify legal issues to consider during employee terminations.
As the Vice President of Client Compliance and HR Services for Brown & Brown of PA, Kim partners with organizations to provide a variety of business consulting, compliance management, and human resource related services. Additionally, she delivers a variety of presentations for organizations....
Read more about Human Capital Management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.