Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
- Highly-motivated individuals who see the value in improving their communication skills across all of their interactions to increase their personal and professional impact
- Professionals who want to use nuanced communication skills to extend their influence and embrace larger leadership roles
About the course
Communication is key to compelling leadership. Learn effective communication practices that increase your impact.
Sharpen Your Communication Skills will explore the behavioral science research behind effective communication practices to help you refine your communication skills — and be sure that your message is heard.
This on-demand online course offers you same-day access to experiential and research-based content so you can immerse yourself in a highly relevant topic to your business challenges and context, bridge theory with practice, and make real-time impact in your organization.
Designed by and featuring Stanford's world-renowned tenured faculty, this course provides you with an engaging and flexible learning experience, without the application requirements or financial and time investment of a longer program.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion to add to your LinkedIn profile and download for your records.
This on-demand online course is designed to help you become a more savvy communicator, and to use your communication skills to elevate your impact.
- Examine key concepts of communication theory and practices including: communication biases, communicating through behavior, delivering praise, persuasive communication, and compelling presentations to further hone your communication style and expand your impact.
- Explore examples of leaders who successfully managed their communications to demonstrate how key communication frameworks can be applied to real-life situations.
- Reflect upon your own communication style and engage in experiential exercises designed to build keen communication skills that you can apply across all of your communications and interactions.
Designed by and featuring tenured Stanford GSB faculty, this on-demand course will enable you to develop a Stanford mindset and immerse yourself in topics relevant to your business challenges and context, at your own pace and convenience.
Developed with an experiential approach to learning, this course extends beyond theory and enables you to put your learnings directly into practice for real-time results. You will receive personalized written feedback from course facilitators on select assignments to deepen your understanding and application of key concepts.
This course includes four modules, and the total time commitment is eight to 10 hours, inclusive of all content, coursework, and assignments. You will have access to the course for 60 days and can save select materials as a takeaway future resource.
Why Take This Course?
Communication is a critical component of effective leadership. To achieve shared goals, a leader must be able to craft a compelling message, articulate an exciting vision, and galvanize a group of people around a course of action.
This course is designed to help participants become more savvy communicators — able to use their communication skills to “get things done.” Throughout this course, participants will sharpen their skills through engaging lectures, experiential activities, and practical lessons that can be applied immediately.
- Communication biases
- Becoming more persuasive
- Personalizing for the audience
- Modeling your message
- Delivering praise
- Recognize communication biases and calibrate your messages to account for them
- Craft and deliver compelling presentations and persuasive messages
- Communicate what you want from your team through your actions
- Learn and employ rules for delivering better praise
Awarded Upon Completion
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion to add to your LinkedIn profile and download for your records.
Research Statement Professor Flynn’s research focuses on three topics of interest: (1) How employees can develop healthy patterns of cooperation; (2) How the negative impact of racial and gender stereotyping in the workplace can be mitigated; and (3) How people can emerge as leaders and assume po...
Videos and materials
Read more about Business Communication
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.