About the course
Are you ready to drive innovation, adapt for the future, and better understand your users? With a bespoke 3 day practical course, LCC offers a fun but immersive learning experience, working in multidisciplinary teams on live briefs, problem solving, co-designing and prototyping solutions. By the end of the course, you will be able to apply a range service design tools to better engage with your customers and stakeholders, tackle business challenges, and innovate.
This course will explore service design as a human centred problem solving process. It will consider the importance of staff, users and everyone that has a relationship with a service. Through a dynamic mix of short talks and guided hands-on teamwork including a range of invaluable tools for problem solving, customer research and business development, you will understand the theory and application of service design. You will be guided through a tried and tested design process in teams to respond to a live brief and develop a potential product/service. Working will be intense and collaborative, and overall rewarding.
Content and Structure
Teaching and learning is based on LCC’s MA Service Experience Design and Innovation. Communication and innovation are at the core of service design, as with all the courses of the College. On this course the methodologies typical of service design will be enhanced by LCC’s historical leadership in the fields of communication. Methods and tools will include:
- User research
- Stakeholder mapping and profiling
- Prototyping (digital and physical), testing and improving
- Co-design and facilitation
- Information analysis and synthesis (customer journey mapping and blueprinting)
- Business modelling (including lean and agile approaches
By the end of this course you should be able to:
- Understand the principles of designing thinking, and practical tools to take away
- Solve business problems and make better decisions through creative thinking
- Describe and pitch your ideas to internal and external stakeholders
- Find and use a range of techniques for innovation thinking, to address business and operational challenges in your own organisation
- Instigate real service innovation projects in your organisation
Rob Maslin graduated from MA (RCA) Design Products in 2010 (before service design became a course) and was part of the fellowship at Imperial College Business School. Now director of We All Design and freelance design and researcher, Rob’s work is focused on creating deep insights into the realit...
Dr. Hena Ali is an Associate Lecturer on MA Service Design at London College of Communication. Hena is a UK based designer, researcher, academic, innovator, and journal reviewer. She is also a senior lecturer at the University of Westminster, MA/MSc dissertation supervisor at the Institute of In...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.