Who should attend
Education leaders (teachers, administrators, counselors, after-school educators) working on implementing site-wide SEL programs and practices.
About the course
Social and emotional learning (SEL) can have tremendous positive impact on students’ social, emotional, and academic development, resulting in higher test scores, increased engagement and motivation, and decreased problem behaviors. How can educational leaders build their capabilities to support systemic implementation of SEL?
To strengthen an inclusive, positive and successful school that supports the needs of diverse learners, the SEL Leadership Institute provides insights and tools to effectively lead sitewide SEL implementation. Using the Six Second tools and methods, this intensive 2-day+ course equips educational leaders to be more effective in growing the EQ of their students and teachers, and role-modeling and communicating the skills of EQ.
Rather than promoting a “program,” the SEL Leadership Institute focuses on integrating proven practices that support efficacy. Through experiential learning, deep conversation, assessments, coaching, and practice, we’ll work together to clarify and grow essential EQ skills to build a thriving learning community.
Through this institute, educational leaders will:
- Know and be able to effectively communicate the ingredients of a systemic implementation of SEL and the value of a comprehensive, evidence-based approach to integrating SEL throughout the educational environment.
- Clarify the role of emotions in teaching and learning & the role of SEL in building a healthy school climate and culture.
- Develop a clear “case” for how emotional intelligence can address the needs of diverse learners and support an inclusive and respectful learning community.
- Learn the Six Seconds Model, a process framework for making emotional intelligence (EQ) practical and actionable, including hands-on strategies for growing EQ.
- Be able to evaluate their school’s progress and plan systemic implementation using the Six Seconds Benchmarks for EQ implementation in schools.
- Deepen their own emotional intelligence to be more insightful, connected and purposeful.
Joshua Freedman, MCC, is the Chief Executive Officer at Six Seconds. One of the world’s preeminent experts on developing emotional intelligence to improve performance, Joshua leads the world’s largest network of emotional intelligence practitioners, researchers, and experts, creating positive cha...
Dr. Lorea Martinez is a Social Emotional Learning Consultant, supporting implementation of SEL programs and teaching educators the principles of emotional intelligence. Her clients include Aspire Public Schools, New Schools Venture Fund, Learning Policy Institute, Facebook, Nearpod, LEEP Dual Lan...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.