Seed Transformation Program
Coursalytics is an independent platform to find, compare, and book executive courses. Coursalytics is not endorsed by, sponsored by, or otherwise affiliated with Stanford Graduate School of Business.Full disclaimer.
Gain management training and networking support in this leadership program for established business leaders
How can you bring Silicon Valley innovation and entrepreneurship to your company? What management skills are required to grow and scale? How can the success of your business help to lead your region to prosperity?
The Seed Transformation Program is the answer. It is a comprehensive yearlong program that includes six months of immersive general-management training in Nairobi, Kenya, led by Stanford GSB faculty and supported by trained local facilitators. The ultimate goal: to create a detailed action plan to help you grow and scale your company.
Throughout the yearlong experience, you will work in small peer groups called Leadership Labs to share experiences, resources, ideas, and support. Participants may also apply to receive high touch coaching upon completion of the STP curriculum.
Develop the skills, tools, and mindset to grow and scale your business, create jobs, and lead your region to greater prosperity.
- Gain essential business and leadership skills, from strategy and finance to business ethics and design thinking, all taught by world-renowned Stanford faculty, and local business practitioners.
- Take advantage of a world-class curriculum from Stanford GSB and the innovative thinking that has shaped some of the most successful companies in Silicon Valley.
- Create an action plan to grow and scale your business.
- Get support from trained local facilitators to help you introduce what you’ve learned to your company and promote buy-in.
- Develop relationships with like-minded leaders to share experiences and develop an ongoing peer-to-peer support network.
Innovation. Entrepreneurship. Leadership. The Seed Transformation Program focuses on all three.
Through a rigorous curriculum, facilitated in-company workshops, and a community of like-minded leaders, you will gain the strategic skills, methodologies, and mindsets to transform your business and your community.
The Stanford GSB approach is highly interactive. Unlike a traditional classroom, this yearlong program will have you out of your seat, collaborating with peers, brainstorming ideas, and learning by doing.
During four one-week sessions that take place over the course of the first eight months, you will work with Stanford faculty to explore topics ranging from leadership, strategy, and business ethics to accounting, marketing, and value chain innovations. The ultimate goal: to create your company’s transformation plan, a detailed action plan for your business with concrete steps to help you grow and scale over the next three to five years.
In between sessions, a Seed facilitator will lead in-company workshops to help you gain buy-in with your team; the facilitator will also provide ongoing support for your small peer groups, called Leadership Labs. At the end of the six months, you will present your transformation plan to Seed staff and your peers.
The program schedule is subject to change.
Months 1 – 10
Build Your Strategy
- Organizational design
- Leadership and team building
- Business Model Canvas
Know Your Company
- Value chain innovation
Know Your Product and Customers
- Product innovation and design thinking
- Business ethics
Develop Your Plan
- Corporate governance
- Finance and investing
- Managerial Performance Measurement
- Human resources
The STP curriculum is designed to give you tools and tactics so that you can put into practice at your company the theories and frameworks you learned in the classroom. To help you achieve this, STP also facilitates in-company workshops and Leadership Lab meetings.
Facilitated In-Company Workshops
Led by Seed staff — experienced local business leaders and facilitators — these workshops will help you introduce new ideas and learning across your company and help you generate buy-in to achieve company growth.
Months 10 – 12
Following the final immersion week, you will implement your transformation plan and continue to meet with your Leadership Lab.
After the Program
STP participants continue to stay engaged with Stanford Seed. Together with current and former participants, you will become part of the Seed Transformation Network. Among the benefits:
- You will be invited to participate in ongoing peer leadership groups, tactical training workshops, networking events, and other programs, and will continue to get support from Stanford Seed consultants and Stanford students.
- Network members are often invited to share the experiences of their own transformation journeys with incoming cohorts.
Who should attend
- A CEO/founder of a for-profit company or for-profit social enterprise who wants to grow and scale their companies, thereby creating jobs, products, or services that benefit those living in poverty
- From a company with annual revenue between US $150,000 and US $15 million that is based in East Africa