Who should attend
All technicians, field-service personnel, electricians, supervisors and engineers who supervise employees who perform operation or maintenance work on LV – Medium voltage Laboratories
About the course
This is an electrical safety course designed for personnel whom working in low and medium voltage laboratories. Its concentrate on electrical safety training (such as Electrical Safety-Related Work Practices and NFPA 70E regulations). Attendees will benefit from examples and videos designed to reacquaint them with electrical hazards and the need for using PPE. Arc Flash Labels, shock and arc flash approach boundaries and choosing Personal Protective Equipment are covered as well as Energized Electrical Work Permits and placing equipment in an Electrically-Safe Work Condition.
- Hazards of Electricity
- Arc flash
- Arc blast
- Review of Chapter 1, Article 130
- Arc Flash and Shock Boundaries
- Flash Protection Boundary
- Limited Approach Boundary
- Restricted Approach Boundary
- Prohibited Approach Boundary
- Interpreting Arc Flash Labels
II. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Specific PPE requirements
- How to choose arc flash PPE using the NFPA 70E and IEEE 1584
- Limitations of PPE and equipment
- Inspection of PPE and equipment
- Use of PPE and equipment
- Care and storage
III. Energized Work
- Live work policy
- Energized Electrical Work Permits
- Establishing a safe work zone
IV. Deenergized Work
- Placing equipment in an Electrically-Safe Work Condition (LOTO)
- Hazards of de-energized equipment
- Testing for the absence of voltages
- Identify electrical hazards and how to avoid or minimize them in the workplace.
- Explain safety issues concerning lockout/tagout (LOTO) procedures, personal protection using assured grounding and safe isolation.
- Explain the different types of Earthing and Bonding- show how it’s essential for personnel and equipment safety.
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.