Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome.
About the course
This introductory course examines health and safety hazards and controls in a variety of workplace settings. The focus of the course will be on conducting hazard assessments and identifying potential controls. A variety of topics will be introduced, including include fall protection, confined spaces, excavations, mobile equipment, equipment guarding, control of hazardous energy, electrical safety and hoisting and conveying equipment. Methods to evaluate hazards and determine the risk presented by the hazards will be covered. Engineering, administrative and personal protective equipment control techniques to protect worker safety and health will be emphasized throughout the course. This course is well suited for individuals new to the field of safety and looking for a high level overview of general hazards.
Course at a glance
- Offered fully online or through blended (online + in-class) learning.
- Aimed at entry-level and practicing health and safety coordinators, professionals, officers, technicians, supervisors, trainers, management, and administrators.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Develop basic hazard identification and assessment tools.
- Identify basic hazards in a variety of occupational environments.
- Evaluate and determine risks presented by basic hazards.
- Develop controls to protect against risks for common hazards.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.