Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
About the course
Introduction to energy storage system concepts including ESS applications, types, and terminology.
The program also covers basic electrical theory, introduction to battery energy storage systems (including Lead Acid, Lithium Ion, Sodium Sulfur, and Flow Batteries), failure modes and hazards, pre-incident planning, emergency response procedures and more.
These concepts are taught through the use of highly-interactive learning modules which include videos, graphics, animations, simulations, and data review exercises, and you can repeat any section on demand.
Upon completion of the course you should be able to:
- Identify the various types of energy storage systems
- Understand basic battery function and design
- Identify the various failure modes and hazards associated with ESS
- Effectively conduct pre-incident planning
- Identify and operate emergency system disconnects
- Effectively conduct mitigation and emergency response procedures including investigations and air monitoring
- Respond to emergencies including electrolyte releases, overheated batteries, fires, and environmental events
Current State of Energy Storage Technologies
- Pumped Hydro Storage
- Compressed Air Energy Storage (CAES)
- Superconducting Magnetic Energy Storage (SMES)
- Key Aspects for Addressing Energy Storage Safety
- Validation Techniques
- Current Validation Techniques
- Areas of Interest in Safety Validation
- Materials Science
- Electrolyte Safety
- Current Conditions
- Incident Preparedness
- Engineered controls
- Administrative controls
- Incident Response
- Gap Areas
- Fire suppression and protection systems
- Verification and control of stored energy
- Legal Framework for Energy Storage System Safety
- Workplace Safety and Training
- Hazardous Materials Management
- Catastrophic Accidents and Liability Risks
A variety of methodologies will be used during the course that includes:
- (30%) Based on Case Studies
- (30%) Techniques
- (30%) Role Play
- (10%) Concepts
- Pre-test and Post-test
- Variety of Learning Methods
- Case Studies and Self Questionaires
- Group Work
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.