Who should attend
Students from all educational backgrounds welcome. You can register for this course without applying and enrolling in a program.
About the course
This course will provide the key points associated with remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater utilizing different remediation technologies. The main processes within remediation (engineering, physical, chemical, biological, and thermal) will be covered. Decision-making factors for choosing the appropriate remediation technology for each site is a focal point in this course. Descriptions, applicability, advantages, limitations, time frames, potential health and safety issues, and cost of various technologies will also be studied. Case studies of contaminated sites with special emphasis on remediation technologies currently available for handling such sites in Alberta will be explored.
What you will learn
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between distinct remediation approaches (Engineering and Process-based) and available treatment options.
- Understand the remediation process for a contaminated site.
- Assess the applicability of the various technologies for different sites.
- Rate different technologies based on site specifics and select the most appropriate remediation technology for a site.
- Utilize case studies of contaminated sites remediation combined with special emphasis on remediation technologies as currently available for handling contaminated sites in Alberta.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.