Comprehensive course analysis
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
- How many participants were promoted within three years after graduation?
- How did this course affect participants' professional trajectories?
- How many participants got their salary increased within two years after completing the program?
- What do past participants have to say about the course?
Who should attend
- Professionals and managers working in or with project organisations who are keen to get a firmer grip on the set-up of an execution of projects
- Individual contributors that need to understand project management fundamentals
- Future project leaders that need to make well-informed decisions of projects in progress by monitoring their performance and predicting their final expected timing and costs
- Managers and directors that wish to introduce project management into their organisations will certainly find benefit in this programme as well
About the course
Project-based working radically differs from other work methods. Just like its opposites of routine work and improvising, project management has its characteristics and challenges of its own. These days, project management is no longer solely considered as a set of static planning techniques. Focus is shifting toward other aspects such as dynamic planning and control, coaching & directing project teams and optimal structuring of projects. This programme offers a clear focus on the business practice and guarantees a positive impact on your projects.
Why This Programme?
What is the added value of following the programme 'Project Management'?
- You will know how to design, plan, and manage projects
- You will understand the drivers of project performance
- You will recognise the challenges and pitfalls of every project phase
- You will be able to prevent potential problems through network planning
- You will know how to keep your projects aligned with company strategy and allocated resources
- You will apply Earned Value Management successfully
- You will be comfortable directing and managing project teams
The 'Project Management' training comprises four modules:
Module 1: The fundamentals of project-based working
Managing projects is not easy, even if all goes well. But often projects take longer than planned, costs exceed the budget or the cooperation is not smooth. Result: the project and the result do not meet the expectations. In a complex environment of objectives, challenges and constraints project management will help you. During this first module we explain the general principles, and we study the possible organisational structures.
- Introduction: What is a project? Why would you apply project management principles?
- What is programme management and portfolio management?
- Linking project-based working with organisational structure
- Stakeholder identification
- Project life cycle
- Pitfalls and success factors of projects
- Case study
Module 2: Project planning and network analysis
Project management is about getting the most out of the used resources, and about respecting a project closing date & allocated budget. The preparation of a project baseline schedule and a risk analysis make them a tool for project managers to measure the performance of a project in progress and give early warnings as triggers for corrective actions (see also Module 3). During this module, you will gain insight into concepts such as critical path, activity slack, activity crashing, resource allocation and other scheduling techniques. A case simulation teaches you how to keep the implementation of projects under control with network planning and risk analysis techniques.
Network planning techniques:
- activity slack, activity crashing
- critical path (PERT/CPM)
- buffer management
Case simulation on project performance and risk analysis
Project planning software
Module 3: Project performance management and project control
A baseline schedule constructed by the techniques discussed in Module 2 is only relevant when the impact of uncertain events is measured and analysed. Schedule Risk Analysis is such a technique that reviews the constructed schedule in the light of uncertainty. An overview of the risk analysis techniques and their use in practice is given. Next, this module zooms in on project control. This key capability is related to measuring the performance of the project in progress and discovering early warnings as triggers for corrective actions. An introduction to Earned Value Management and Earned Schedule Control techniques is given, and a critical overview on the use of standard and newly developed techniques is discussed.
Risk management and the project baseline schedule
Project performance measurement and follow-up: * Earned Value Management (EVM) * Earned Schedule Control
Module 4: Teamwork and people management skills for project managers
Projects are often delivered in teams, and as a project leader you have to be a team coach. Research shows that balanced teams work more efficient and effective. But: How do you communicate within the project team? How do you set up a team in terms of maximum output? What profiles and roles do you have in your team? And above all, how do you increase the success of your team?
- Team building and interaction styles
- The project leader as a people manager
- Communicating within a team
- Gain insights in your own strengths and weaknesses (assessment)
Antonio Nieto-Rodriguez is a leading global project management and strategy implementation specialist. He is the creator of such concepts as the Hierarchy of Purpose featured in Harvard Business Review and the Project Manifesto. In his works, Antonio explains that the project management approach ...
Dirk is an authority on strategic HR and can bring out the best in you and your organisation when it comes to people management, career management and organisational development. Dirk has carried out numerous teaching and advisory tasks for organisations such as the Ministry of the Flemish Commun...
Mario helps you improving your project performance and resource efficiency by combining research results with practical experience. Mario Vanhoucke is Full Professor at Vlerick Business School and Professor at University College London and UGent. At the faculty of Economics and Business Adminis...
Videos and materials
Read more about Human Capital Management
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.