About the course
Building on the tenets of his book Managing Public Sector Projects: A Strategic Framework for Success in an Era of Downsized Government, seminar instructor David Kassel will help project managers at all levels of government can ensure the success of public projects and programs.
Participants will learn a strategic framework that addresses project planning; cost, schedule, and risk estimation; contract drafting, team building, and project monitoring and control. Case studies will be used to enhance your learning, including U.S. reconstruction projects in Iraq, the Big Dig project in Boston, the rollout of the Healthcare.gov website, and former President Trump's border wall.
Seminar Topics Include
- Characteristics of Public Sector Projects and Managers
- Financing Public Projects
- How Public Projects Succeed and Fail
- Five Framework Elements for Public Sector Project Management
- Planning Steps for Public Projects, Including Feasibility Studies
- Who is on the Project Team? What are the Dynamics?
- Public Sector Procurement Rules
- Procuring Contractors
- Drafting Contracts and Monitoring Public Project Development
This seminar will meet virtually via Zoom for (3) 2-hour sessions. PDUs/continuing education units are not available for this seminar; however, it does count as an elective towards UML's Professional Certificate in Project Management.
I provide policy research, report writing, public relations, strategic management and other services to public and nonprofit organizations and other consulting firms, and bring a wide range of experience in government and politics to bear in those efforts. My book, "Managing Public Sector Projec...
Videos and materials
Read more about Project management
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.