Who should attend
- Working professionals
- Finance professionals
- Unit Heads and Managers
- Business Analysts
About the course
Gain the Foresight and Expertise to Identify and Manage Financial Risks The increasing complexity and growth in the market value of financial assets and their derivatives highlight the need to manage investments in these securities prudently and optimally. Professionals in Financial Institutions and Corporates need a solid understanding of financial risk measurement and management. This course is designed to introduce various risk management concepts, tools, and techniques. Using an integrated approach, the course will emphasize on the design and implementation of risk management practices in financial institutions. It also deals with the mathematical ideas and the algorithms behind the construction of models for analyzing and managing risk in financial markets. Basically, this course purports to familiarize students with and deepen their understanding of modern risk management concepts, theories, practices and trends.
At the end of this course, the participants will be able to:
- Understand the relationship between risk and reward and explain how incentives can impact risk management
- Appreciate and understand the basic challenges in measuring and managing risk
- Evaluate and apply tools and procedures used to measure and manage financial risk
Practical and application oriented knowledge
Knowledge will be imparted through class exercises to develop hands on skills that can be applied to practical scenarios
Hands on exposure to various financial models and tools
Get exposed to various financial models for analyzing and managing risk using popular tools like Excel
Learn to measure, manage & evaluate financial risks
Appreciate and understand the basic challenges in measuring, managing and evaluating risk by applying popular financial tools and procedures
Implement Risk Management practices in your Organization
Learn to implement robust risk management measures to smoothly sail through the crisis situations
Certificate of Completion from IIM Kozhikode
On successful completion, you will receive certificate of completion from IIM Kozhikode
The primary method of instruction will be through LIVE lectures that will be beamed online via Internet to student desktops/laptops or classrooms. This course would use a mix of pedagogical tools such as lectures, case discussions and Excel simulations etc. in the learning process. Students are expected to read the textbooks or other assigned readings outside of class and participate in the critical evaluation of the material through class discussion and in-class exercise. The course may require participants to work on individual/group assignments and/or projects. The main objective of such assignments/projects will be to help the participants apply their conceptual learning in the program to actual organizational decision scenarios. All enrolled students will also be provided access to our SLIQ Cloud Campus through which students may access other learning aids, reference materials, assessments, case studies, projects and assignments as appropriate. Throughout the duration of the course, students will have the flexibility to reach out to the professors, real time during the class or offline via our SLIQ Cloud Campus to raise questions and clear doubts.
Module 1 - Basics
- Introduction to Risk Management and Basic risk types
- Probability and Statistics for Risk Management
- Understanding Financial Returns, Volatility and Correlation
- Portfolio Theory and CAPM
Module 2 - Financial Instruments and Their Markets
- Financial markets, Institutions and Regulations
- Introduction to Trading and Market Microstructure
- Features and Valuation of Forwards, Futures, Swaps, and Options
Module 3 - Market Risk
- VaR, Expected Shortfall (ES) and other Risk Measures
- Parametric, Historical Simulation and Monte Carlo Simulation
- Bonds, Interest Rate and Interest rate Sensitivity
- VaR Mapping and Backtesting VaR
- Hedging with Derivatives
Module 4 - Credit Risk
- Corporate bonds, Credit Risk, and Credit Ratings
- Credit Risk Modelling and Credit Scores
- Estimating Default Probabilities and Credit VaR
- Credit Derivatives
- Securitization and Structured Obligations
Module 5 - Other Topics
- Operational Risk and Liquidity Risk
- Stress Testing, RAROC, Economic Capital and Risk Reporting
- Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Review
Prof. Jijo Lukose P J, a doctorate from School of Management, IIT Bombay has designed and delivered training programs for banks and financial institutions including World Bank, ICICI Bank, Bank of America, CRISIL, Ashok Leyland Finance, Reserve Bank of India etc. Ph.D. School of Management, IIT...
PhD in Strategic Management and Corporate Sustainability. Other interest areas include Entrepreneurship and Public-Private Partnerships. Recipient of the Fulbright Scholarship and past visiting doctoral scholar at S.C. Johnson School of Business, Cornell University. Formerly Senior Director, in ...
Prof. Sony Thomas is Ph.D. in Finance from Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras. He has conducted various training programs in Finance to private and public sector companies. Prior to joining IIMK, he worked with Deloitte Research and GE Money-MSE Financial Decision Sciences Lab.
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.