Who should attend
Beginners/Intermediate, all welcome. Anyone interested in graphic design and the production of high professional standard printed communication outcomes. Graphic design students, BA and/or MA graduates, junior designers wishing to improve their print design skills, marketing professionals wanting to learn more about the creative design process, business start-ups wishing to produce promotional materials, any type of design students or junior professionals.
About the course
This course aims to teach all the creative and technical steps for the creation of beautiful print communication and/or editorial designs.
From prestige books to corporate brochures, customer magazines and leaflets, to fashion catalogues and branded print campaigns (advertisements, posters, etc.), the same design principles of visual communication—typography, layout composition, image-making, editorial design and art direction (of photography and illustration)—apply.
In this practice-based course, you will learn how to construct and style your print design and/or publication, using principally Adobe CC Software: InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
The focus of the course will not however be solely technical, but will aim to develop your design sensitivity and knowledge of best practice in editorial design, typographic layout, strong image-making and art direction.
Ultimately, the course aspires to enlighten and inform students to plan, design and produce powerful content and messages through the combinations of the printed word and image, and to design engaging printed communication and media with an audience in mind.
By the end of this course you will have:
- Created a print communication design for yourself, or your personal business
- Acquired a clear understanding about the whole process of graphic design as applied to print design (brochures, catalogues, books, posters, etc.)
- Learnt the visual principles behind successful and powerful layout and composition that are communicative to their target audience and effective in engaging them.
- Developed sensitivity and knowledge of effective use of typography and art direction in print communication
- Learnt about preparing press-ready final artwork for printers
- Gained a good understanding of print production professional processes
- Learnt about adding creativity with special print techniques, finishes and binding
- Basics of typography
- Visual principles of layout design
- Visual hierarchies, typographical hierarchies, grids
- Typographic detailing
- Basic elements in editorial design
- Art direction of photography and illustration
- Building narratives through photography and/or illustration
- Exploring type, form, colour, composition, style and imagery, to express a visual tone of voice relevant to a specific audience: i.e. luxurious, trendy, dynamic, classical, etc.
- Planning and sequencing content in publications
- Print production process and techniques: scanning, colour conversion, imposition
- Preparing final artworks for professional printing
- Choosing and specifying: paper, card, colour and materials specifications
- Basic print techniques, special print finishes and binding
- Special print techniques (e.g. special Pantone inks), special print finishes (e.g. types of varnishes) and binding (types of binding)
- Print management: design and production phases, scheduling, liaising with printers
All our Online Short Courses include:
- Live online lessons with the same tutors
- The same course content and learning outcomes
- Lesson recordings, for review
- Access to VLE with course content
- Forums for support
- 2 weeks online access
- Certificate upon completion
After graduating from Central Saint Martin’s College of Art and Design (1st Class Hons), Marc Wood acquired professional design experience at top UK design consultancies including: Lewis Moberly, Michael Peters Group, Coley Porter Bell, Peter Saville Associates, Pentagram, Conran Design PID, and ...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.