Who should attend
This class is designed for anyone who wants to adopt data-driven decision-making. It can benefit business professionals who want to find key insights for their organizations and make strategic recommendations, using tools that they already have access to. It is especially useful for leaders looking to optimize key performance indicators and identify solutions to organizational issues
About the course
In this foundational, hands-on course, you will use Microsoft Excel to build spreadsheet models for any organization. These models will include key performance indicators linked to variables that are under the decision maker’s control. By identifying variables, you will be able to use software to craft solutions. We will use Excel’s Solver tool to find the solution that optimizes the key performance indicator. We will apply the techniques to applications in various functions of a business. You will walk away with the skills to use this in your company and identify solutions to organizational problems.
- Fact-Based Decision-Making
- Analytics Definition and Application Examples
Introduction to spreadsheet modeling and linear programming
- Describe the Situation and Problem
- Identify Decision Variables and Key Performance Indicators
Types of Linear Programming Problems
- Product Mix, Blending, Covering, and Transportation
- Shortest Path and Maximum Flow Examples
Analysis of the Red Brand Case
- Determining Relevant Numbers
- Application of the Blending problem
- Brief Introduction to Sensitivity Analysis
- Learn valuable career skills and tools
- Evaluate data independently
- Approach difficult decisions confidently
- Optimize processes with data-insights
- Identify hidden risks and opportunities
- Harness data to solve problems
Dr. Don G. Wardell is Francis A. Madsen Scholar and Professor of Operations and Information Systems (OIS) at the University of Utah's David Eccles School of Business (DESB). He served for several years as the Chair of the OIS Department and before that the Management Department. He received BS an...
Read more about Business Analytics
Read more about Transportation and Logistics
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.