About the course
Participants learn how to align collective bargaining objectives to organization strategy, organize and prioritize management and union goals, and prepare for the bargaining table. In class project is preparing and delivering a presentation to management on bargaining authority.
This training is for labor relations, human resource, operations, and finance professionals who support or are responsible for collective bargaining.
- Assembling and analyzing internal and external factors that influence negotiations
- Reviewing grievance and arbitration logs
- Obtaining input from supervisors and managers
- Evaluating bargaining unit demographics
- Reviewing wage rates, benefits, and current cost data
- Determining management objectives and bargaining positions
- Anticipating union demands; formulating management responses * Calculating and assessing current contract value and projected agreement costs
- Identifying labor strike and settlement issues
Approach and Features
Case study analysis of complex, cutting-edge economic and operational issues culminates in group presentations to a simulated management team of experienced corporate negotiators and strategists. There will be a panel discussion about current collective bargaining trends, issues, and solutions.
Steve Gorkin former Vice President Global Labor Relations, Colgate-Palmolive Company, was the company's chief spokesperson in the U.S., with preparation responsibility for collective bargaining agreements. Mr. Gorkin was also responsible for overall labor strategies globally. Mr. Gorkin also se...
Dan is an expert in workplace negotiation, mediation, arbitration, facilitation, teaching, organizational conflict, team building, leadership and change management. As Practice Leader and Director of the Labor Relations Programs, Dan is responsible for developing and teaching professional educati...
Videos and materials
Read more about Negotiations
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.