Who should attend
This program is designed for physicians in administrative leadership positions in academic and/or private healthcare organizations who lead clinical divisions or report to a chair of their department. The program will also be useful for roles including new section chiefs, department chairs in hospitals, physicians in private practice taking on more oversight and leadership, and physicians aspiring toward healthcare leadership positions.
This program is an excellent fit for physicians who are in the leadership capacity to create healthy team environments, improve practice efficiencies, and reduce physician burnout.
About the course
As the business of healthcare becomes increasingly tied to clinical outcomes, physicians must become effective, agile leaders who can navigate the changing terrain. Chicago Booth's Physician Leadership Program equips physicians with the essential leadership tools they need to manage multidisciplinary teams and implement financial, clinical, and operational decisions.
The Chicago Booth Physician Leadership Program is a premier physician-only program designed to elevate the evidence-based decision-making and leadership skills of physicians in administration roles seeking to accelerate sustainable, profitable growth for their healthcare organizations.
- Understand the drivers of financial health and quality measurement in order to strategically navigate reporting requirements, hospital and physician rating systems, and value-based payment programs.
- Learn how to use data-driven evidence to justify and drive organizational change.
- Build a personal leadership tool kit that supports authentic leadership, cultivates loyal teams, and creates a positive work environment.
The program culminates in a unique, multi-faceted leadership challenge that simulates a real hospital business problem. The challenge will incorporate patient outcomes, finances, and personnel/leadership issues and the participants will incorporate relevant data to form hypotheses and justify action plans.
The Chicago Booth Physician Leadership Program offers a unique approach to learning. This program consists of two core sessions and a Leadership Challenge that ties learnings together into one immersive experience.
The Program Sessions
*Measuring and Managing Outcomes and Costs *
- Develop a foundation in understanding how patient outcomes and costs are measured and managed, and their consequences for the financial health of the hospital.
- Learn the various methods of risk adjustment and their pitfalls, including the inherent trade-offs between measures.
- Understand how to leverage data to maximize the value proposition of improving outcomes and lowering costs.
Evaluating Value-Based Incentives and Initiatives
- Building on an understanding of how hospital revenue is generated, explore the economic structure of value-based incentives and risk-sharing contracts and their connection with outcomes measurement.
- Learn how to evaluate and benchmark the financial, clinical, and operational impact of new, not-yet-proven approaches to care delivery as data-driven experiments to improve value.
Understanding Dynamics of Physician Leadership
- Review a model of professional development that enumerates the specific skill sets needed to progress in influence and position across time.
- Identify the attitudes and behaviors needed to function at the highest levels when presented with a wide range of professional and personal challenges.
Dealing With Complex Physician Relationships and Performance Evaluation
- Through a specific case study, determine the most effective methods to produce positive outcomes especially in personnel driven management challenges. The effects of such conflicts on institutional culture and subsequent performance will be considered.
Participants will be presented with a multi-faceted leadership challenge that simulates a real hospital business problem. The leadership challenge will incorporate patient outcomes, finances, and personnel/leadership issues, and participants will incorporate relevant data to form hypotheses and justify action plans.
Dan Adelman is a leading expert in business analytics, helping firms and institutions deploy data and decision analysis to build world-class strategic and tactical management capabilities. He conducts research on foundations of the operations research field, as well as studies the link between op...
Dr. Bruce L. Gewertz is a nationally known vascular surgeon with 40 years’ experience in academic medicine. Since 2006, he has served as vice dean for academic affairs, vice president for interventional services, and surgeon-in-chief at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles. Previously, he was on the facul...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.