Who should attend
This program is designed for managers and professionals whose job effectiveness depends on their ability to persuade others, including:
- Senior executives, directors and general managers
- Experienced leaders/managers of business units or other groups of people
- Marketing, sales and business development managers
- Anyone in an argument-based profession: lobbyists, advocacy representatives, negotiators, etc.
About the course
Build Trust and Influence Throughout the Organization
Gone are the days when persuasion consisted of “because I said so.”
In this program, you will practice the use of “win-win” persuasive strategies and skills under a variety of situations. Build trust with your audience, communicate clearly to strengthen your message, and appeal to people’s emotional and intellectual sides. Exercise constructive influence throughout the organization.
Benefits for you
- Strengthen your credibility and trust-building skills
- Tailor your message to your audience and establish rapport
- Communicate with greater clarity and confidence
- Deal with objections and resistance
- Influence your staff as well as those who do not report to you
- Identify the various means of power at your disposal
- Building multiple kinds of trust: conscious trust and track records, unconscious trust and appearances, the double-edged sword of confidence
- Creating persuasive messages: matching your message to your audience by speaking to their experiences and values, choosing the right balance of logic and emotion, applying effective logical and illogical marketing ploys to interpersonal situations, speaking to hostile audiences and managing resistance
- Overcoming barriers to message clarity: dealing with the curse of knowledge, controlling message mutation, PowerPoint bad habits that undermine persuasion
- Using power constructively: identifying the various means of power at your disposal, using power while negotiating, managing upward
This program emphasizes interactive discussions based on the science of persuasion, as well as role-playing exercises designed to build your trust and influence skills.
Dr. Tripp is Professor of Management, Rom Markin Endowed Leadership Chair in Business, and Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the Carson College of Business at Washington State University. He previously taught at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University and at the Sa...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.