Make sure this course is right for you.
Get unbiased reviews and personalized recommendations.
About the course
Using blended capital to address the world's largest problems
Social finance helps provide capital to address the wicked problems facing the world today.
Global, systematic challenges as outlined by the UN SDGs demand innovation which traditional financing mechanisms fail to address. Social innovation requires innovative capital and this is provided by social finance.
- Discover how deliberate leadership and effective policy can tackle some of the world's most complex problems
- Learn how grants, donations and high-return investment blend together to create innovative fund structures and large scale impact
- Gain insight of social finance tools including catalytic philanthropy, public private partnerships, social and development impact bonds
CEO level guest speakers from major, international foundations and NGOs will share their experience on implementing large scale social programmes.
- Gain experience on Layered Capital Approaches with access to the latest thinking
- Learn how to use blended social finance to raise an ambitious co-mingled fund
- Combine tools including catalytic philanthropy, programme and mission related investments, and donor advised funds
- Examine the latest models including the Zuckerberg-Chan LLC and Jack Ma Trusts
- Explore crowd funding and co-finance models
To your business
- Create and develop a social finance action plan
- Develop organisational infrastructure and culture to manage high-impact social projects
- Access to global leaders in the finance industry
- Join a growing international network of specialist organisations
- Build a common language based on cutting edge, global research
- Define scale and gain an overview of social finance, related policy and blended capital
- Examine leadership and consider your theory of change
- Case study: Wicked problems, values and leadership - Gayle Peterson, Programme Director
- Social finance ecosystem and gender equality
- Guest speaker: Jennifer Pryce, President and CEO of Calvert Impact Capital
- Guest speaker: Oksana Oracheva, General Director, Vladimir Potanin Foundation
- Guest speaker: Peter Tufano, Dean, Saïd Business School
- Blended capital deals - Aunnie Patton Power, Associate Fellow, Saïd Business School
- Case Study: Power
- Measuring systems change
- Guest speaker: Martin Rich, Co-Founder, Future-Fit Foundation
- Discuss SDG 4 & 8, quality education and decent work and economic growth
- Guest speaker: Jamie Merisotis, CEO, Lumina Foundation
- Guest speaker: Peter Hinton, Associate Fellow, Saïd Business School
- Small group tutorials
- Case study: Risk
- SDG 13: ESG and climate change
- Guest speaker: Tom Van Dyck
- Movement building
- Guest speaker: Ellen Dorsey, Executive Director, Wallace Global Fund
- Blended capital finance solutions
- Guest speaker: Bruce Lourie, President, Ivey Foundation
- Sustainable finance in the global south
- University debate - Social finance panel
- Case study: Community
- Measuring Impact - Alex Nicholls, Professor of Social Entrepreneurship, Saïd Business School
- The power of feedback
- Guest speaker: Fay Twersky, Vice President, Hewlett Foundation
- Feedback in action: Asia pilot project
- Guest speaker: Naina Batra, CEO, AVPN
- Building feedback loops
- Guest speaker: Valerie Threlfall, Principal, ekouté
- Case study: Candor and learning
- Social impact bonds
- SDG 1-17: Social finance innovation
- Guest speaker: Phyllis Costanza, CEO, UBS Optimus Foundation
- Systems change: imagine the future
- Guest speaker: Trudi Lang, Senior Fellow in Management Practice, Saïd Business School
Dr Alex Nicholls is Professor of Social Entrepreneurship within the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship at Saïd Business School, University of Oxford. His research interests range across several key areas within social entrepreneurship and social innovation, including: social finance and soc...
As co-founder of an international philanthropic consultancy, Gayle has extensive experience in market-based change to support innovations in business and social sector strategies to achieve international social change. She has managed and assessed more than $12 billion of grantmaking resources o...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.