Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This programme is for philanthropists, investors, financial executives, wealth managers, consultants and other leaders working in the social finance sector.
About the course
Build your investment skills to deliver maximum social return
Impact investing focuses on developing business solutions to the world's most pressing social problems.
On this pioneering programme, you will develop a deep and broad understanding of the impact investment sector and understand how to make more targeted investment decisions.
You will learn how to:
- work effectively as an impact investment practitioner
- develop an effective strategy and plan
- measure and assess your impact
You will study in a dynamic learning environment, supported by our community of highly experienced academics, guest speakers and partners from all over the world.
On completion, you will have the skills and knowledge to play your role as a key participant in community-based global change and the impact investing profession.
- Gain the skills to develop an impact investing strategy for your business
- Understand the sensitivities and nuances of conducting impact investments in different cultural contexts
- Identify and execute deals that yield financial, social and environmental returns
To your business
- Develop a focused, strategic approach to impact investment
- Deliver financial and social returns from investments targeted to achieve your organisational mission
- Access to the latest research and global networks
Day one – individual and organisational objectives
- Understanding the impact investing ecosystem
- Identifying drivers of investment goals and strategy
- Effective leadership styles for addressing complex collaborations
- Develop your theory of change and performance measurement
- Emerging economies (African) case study – impact investing deal and exit
Day two – deal making and impact measurement
- Deal making and impact measurement
- How to identify investable propositions and build quality deal flow
- Financial instruments, fee structures and building the term sheet
- Due diligence from financial and human security viewpoints – do no harm
- Emerging economies (Brazil) case study – venture capital impact investing fund
Day three – investment process and the impact on society
- Measuring impact and communicating triple bottom-line returns
- Using results to recalibrate investment in programmes and the overall portfolio
- Creating cultural competency for effective community engagement
- Case study (UK) – community transport
Day four – innovative finance and policy
- Policy as an accelerator
- Social impact bonds
- Success and failures – what can we learn
- Pioneers in action
Day five – putting it into action
- Review innovative programmes from around the world
- Small group and 1-1 tutorials to put together a personalised action plan and develop an elevator pitch of your future strategy
- Review latest research and future forecast trends
Dr Alex Nicholls is Professor of Social Entrepreneurship within the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship at Saïd Business School, University of Oxford. His research interests range across several key areas within social entrepreneurship and social innovation, including: social finance and soc...
As co-founder of an international philanthropic consultancy, Gayle has extensive experience in market-based change to support innovations in business and social sector strategies to achieve international social change. She has managed and assessed more than $12 billion of grantmaking resources o...
Videos and materials
Read more about Transportation and Logistics
Read more about Venture capital
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.