Who should attend
- Executive Leadership
- Current or potential Insider Threat Program Team members
- Current or potential Insider Threat Program Managers
- Non-executive employees that have access to classified information
About the course
This three (3) hour online course provides a thorough understanding of insider threat terminology, identifies different types of insider threats, teaches how to recognize both technical and behavioral indicators and outlines mitigation strategies.
This instruction is based upon the research of the CERT National Insider Threat Center (NITC) of the Software Engineering Institute, and has been recently updated to reflect current definitions and research. The CERT NITC has been researching this problem since 2001 in partnership with the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the U.S, Secret Service, other federal agencies, the intelligence community, private industry, academia, and the vendor community. This training supports organizations implementing and managing insider threat detection, response, and prevention programs in response to the guidelines set forth in the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) in accordance with Executive Order 13587.
At the completion of the course, learners will be able to:
- Define the term Insider
- Explain the threats insiders may cause to critical assets
- Recognize the difference between malicious versus unintentional insider threat
- Recognize the most common types of insider threat
- Identify the prevalence and damage caused by insider threat activity
- Identify legislation enacted to help prevent insider threat
- Describe the activity, behavioral and technical precursors, and characteristics of
- IT Sabotage
- Theft of Intellectual Property
- Recognize and avoid unintentional insider threat
- Describe controls to potentially prevent insider attacks
- Identify best practices for insider threat mitigation
- Describe the purpose of an Insider Threat Program
This online course contains three (3) hours of video instruction presented by experts from the CERT NITC. The topics you will study are:
- Insider Threat definitions, issues, and types
- Severity and impact of insider threat activity
- Sabotage: examples, unknown access paths, behavioral and technical precursors
- Fraud: examples, dynamics, technical aspects, and countermeasures
- Theft of Intellectual Property: examples, dynamics, exfiltration, and mitigation
- Unintentional Insider Threat
- Insider Threat Prevention, Detection, and Mitigation Strategies
Learners will have one year to complete the course. Upon completing all course elements, the learner is awarded an electronic certificate of course completion.
This course is presented in the form of video instruction presented by experts from the CERT Insider Threat Center. Learners will also be able to access additional resources related to the subject matter and a downloadable copy of the course presentation slides.
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.