Who should attend
This course is ideal for individuals involved in the operation and financial performance of a restaurant or food and beverage service, from line-level employees through general management; individuals who are new to the food and beverage industry and need to learn more about the specifics around restaurant operations; and students from every continent and from a diverse range of organizations, including franchisees, managed service contractors such as stadiums or arenas, hospitals, airlines and caterers. Students who do not work in restaurants but need to be conversant in operations of food and beverage providers will also benefit from this course.
About the course
Whether you are a coffee house, restaurant, or even a cocktail bar, your beverage program can have a big impact on your profitability, but it comes with a good deal of risk.
Understanding everything that is involved in offering wine, beer, spirits, and nonalcoholic beverages, and applying discipline to your product selection, pricing, list design, and rigorous controls can minimize certain risks and position you for financial success.
- Identifying what makes beverage programs different from food-based programs
- Determining what wines, beer, spirits, and nonalcoholic beverages to offer
- Identifying specific pricing methods for wine, beer, spirits, and nonalcoholic beverages
- Applying list design techniques that help your guests make choices and improve your profits
- Identifying the risks and costs of beverage programs and the controls that need to be in place to minimize the negative impact to your operation
Cheryl Stanley is a lecturer in food and beverage management at the Cornell School of Hotel Administration (SHA). She has been involved with food since the age of ten, when she started her own chocolate business, "Cheryl''s Chocolates." Following her interest in food, she attended SHA and graduat...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.