About the course
This programme focusses on the Jewish/Christian/Islamic religions, their roots in Israel and their relationship in the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It presents the history as well as the current situation. We believe that the only way to truly develop a better understanding is to visit the area and meet the people living here. Participants study stories from the sacred scripts, in visits to the physical locations where the stories occurred. They delve deeply into the issues through lectures, delivered by Israeli and Palestinian academics as well as attend study tours and meetings with members of the varied communities. The programme is open to all professionals, students and faculty members who are interested in the subjects.
- The Sanctity of Jerusalem and the Holy Land in Judaism, Christianity and Islam
- Importance of Religion in the Middle East
- An Introduction to Islam
- Sunni-Shi'i Conflict in the Modern Middle East
- Diversity of Christianity in the Holy Land
- Christian Roots in Judaism
- Messiah: Prophetic Visions of Redemption and Later Interpretations
- From Redemptive Jewish Nationalism to the Realisation of the State of Israel
- Core Issues of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
- Palestinian Perspective on the Peace Process
- The Palestinian Refugee Question
- The Arab/Palestinian Citizens of Israel
- Israeli Society: Sociological Structure, Trends and Prospects
Marc Rosenstein is the Director Emeritus of the Israel Rabbinical Program at HUC-JIR's Taube Family Campus in Jerusalem. Hegrew up in Highland Park, Illinois, and received a BA in biochemistry from Harvard College. He was ordained by HUC-JIR in 1975 and received an MA in Jewish History from Hebr...
Dr. Maha El-Taji Daghash Ph.D. Interdisciplinary Program in Near and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Washington LL. M. International Human Rights Law, Center for Civil and Human Rights, Notre Dame University J.D. Seattle University School of Law B.A. Business Administration, University of...
Videos and materials
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.