Comprehensive course analysis
Who should attend
This course is designed for professionals who would like to learn skills to design and implement systems that can interact with users using spoken or written natural language, like chatbots and virtual assistants.
It is applicable for professionals engaged in the following areas.
- Developers of systems requiring conversational UI
- AI engineers or specialists
- Project managers of conversational systems
- Solution architects for conversational systems
About the course
Conversational User Interfaces (UIs) refers to the user-machine interaction model with the interactions occurring in the user’s spoken or written natural language. It can be implemented as applications like chatbots, virtual assistants, virtual personal assistants (VPA)-enabled wireless speakers like Amazon Echo and Google Home, etc.
Conversational UIs have drawn increasing interest from enterprises and consumers, as an alternative to GUIs, promising the shift in the responsibility of learning from user to interface. Deployed Conversational UIs now start to impact sectors like customer service, connected home solutions, smart healthcare/homecare, etc.
This course provides essential knowledge and skills required to design and build systems that can interact with users using spoken or written natural language. A combination of lectures, case studies, and workshops will be used to cover the applications of conversational UI, architectures and components of such systems, the design of conversation flow and dialogue management, Natural Language Processing techniques enabling systems to understand user utterances, response generation, handling speech input and output, evaluation metrics, etc.
At the end of the course, the participants will be able to:
- Determine the roles that systems with conversational UI can play in fielded applications
- Identify and analyse the main components and the architectures of conversational interfaces
- Design conversational UI with practical methodology and strategies
- Develop applications with conversational UI using traditional and machine learning approaches.
- Evaluate the performance of the conversational UI using appropriate metrics
What Will Be Covered
This course will cover:
- Introduction of Conversational UI
- Conversation Design
- Evaluating Conversational UI
- Understanding the Content of User’s Utterances
- Response Generation
- Speech Recognition
- Speech Synthesis
- Speaker Identification
- Speech Dialogue Application
Zhenzhen has been with Institute of Systems Science, NUS, since 2006. She currently lectures in the Master of Technology programme in the areas of case-based reasoning, text mining, KBS development, hybrid KBS, and formal specification. Prior to joining ISS, she was a senior research engineer at ...
Aobo Wang is currently a lecturer and consultant with National University of Singapore, Institute of Systems Science (NUS-ISS) with responsibility in teaching, consulting and research. He lectures in the areas of text mining, natural language processing, and machine learning. He received his Ph.D...
Education BS/CS, University of Science and Technology of China, 1987-1992 MS/CS, Peking University, China, 1992-1995 PhD/CS, National University of Singapore, 1998-2001 Biography Dr. Minghui Dong is currently a senior scientist and the head of Voice Analysis and Synthesis Lab in Human Language Te...
Because of COVID-19, many providers are cancelling or postponing in-person programs or providing online participation options.
We are happy to help you find a suitable online alternative.